Vine maple with burnt leaves.

vp999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey guys! I have an old vine maple with lots of sun damaged leaves (I think). I already defoliate most of it this year and it grew back, can I defoliate again? or just leave it as it is now. There’s some new leaves that’s growing out and it’s been moved to a more shaded spot. I just hate the look of nasty burnt leaves on it. Thanks.
B4ADEBB5-82F3-4100-8614-0176F946116A.jpeg

Rivian

Mame
Reaction score
That looks more like drought damage, not sun damage. Middle of August is too late in the year for defoliation, and you already weakened it with the previous one. I wouldnt do it.

vp999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thats odds because I water it every day, and it doesn't get full sun either, just in the afternoon. Thank you.

Rivian

Mame
Reaction score
Thats odds because I water it every day, and it doesn't get full sun either, just in the afternoon. Thank you.
Insufficient healthy roots, dry hot winds and a environment that absorbs a lot of heat from the sun (usually stones) can contribute to drought damage too. Looks like your substrate is largely coarse and inorganic, during hot weather watering once a day may have been too little.