Vine maple

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
20200328_162806.jpg20200328_162824.jpg20200328_163441.jpg
First repoting and first try at root over rock.
I collected this tree last spring. Being as the tree is relatively fresh from the forest I dont think I should be doing much pruning just yet, but the long new growth has me tempted to clip. It has survived well so far after its initial die back which was a lot farther than I had wanted (lesson learned). And my carving of that dead wood doesn't seem to have bothered it. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Dead wood rots very fast on vine maples. FYI. Plus, keep your dogs away from them. My new puppy ate my prized vine maple I'd spent five years working on. :,(

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good to know. I will keep an eye on it. Any suggestions to deal with the deadwood?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you in Portland Bonsai Club? Talk to/visit Michael Hagedorn if possible, He is fond of these. If can't visit try calling/emailing him. He's very humble and helpful to know;).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

I think I'd rather see a bit of moss and wonder if you're hiding a wire with it, than see the wire.

Paint it at least?

Nice.

Sorce

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anyone completed a successful air layer on large vine maple branches, 5”. I had a branch break about 18” from its base on my landscape tree in an unusually large snow storm last wither and it threw out a ton of adventitious branches, so I decided to air layer it.

I know they ground layer naturally as their primary means of propagation, so it should be fairly straightforwar.

How long should I leave the spagnum/ wrap on the tree?

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice.

I think I'd rather see a bit of moss and wonder if you're hiding a wire with it, than see the wire.

Paint it at least?

Nice.

Sorce
Yeah you're right. It looks much better covered.

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anyone completed a successful air layer on large vine maple branches, 5”. I had a branch break about 18” from its base on my landscape tree in an unusually large snow storm last wither and it threw out a ton of adventitious branches, so I decided to air layer it.

I know they ground layer naturally as their primary means of propagation, so it should be fairly straightforwar.

How long should I leave the spagnum/ wrap on the tree?
Never tried it with a Vine Maple. But it usually takes about 6 weeks or so. When you see a lot of roots you should be good to go.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah you're right. It looks much better covered.

👍🏼
Reckon crows and the like will be less likely to investigate as well.

I like this composition, I think it works cuz its a "vine", but I think if you can get any more roots coming out of that trunk to drape the rock, it'll be better to start em now before that one root gets too big to keep in scale with new ones.

I think it would be dope if you could get some roots to ride those horizontal ridges a bit too.

Can't wait to see it in leaf!

Sorce

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one struggled this summer. But it survived. I changed to a different soil mixture that has worked better for me with my other vine maples. This is where its at now. Love the winding root but I think it needs to remain in hiding until it gets some better root development.20210114_134933.jpg20210114_134658.jpg20210114_134735.jpg

Top Bottom