Vine maples

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I collected 4 smaller vine maples last fall and they have been doing fine. I have noticed that their original leaves from this spring seem to harden off and then look like their going south, but new leaves coming on all over the tree. Is this characteristic of the species? Should I defoliate all the old leaves? Thanks for help.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leaves exposed the direct sun will get a blush almost like going into fall. I see some along the roads that get full sun all day and the outer leaves are almost brown. Still soft and pliable. These trees will have the brightest red colors come fall.
I just moved mine back to a shade by noon position because I thought they were not ready for all day sun yet, both were root pruned and repotted this spring and they seemed to be struggling once the heat came on.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I collected these last fall when the leaves were turning reddish, but I think it was because they were going dormant because of lack of moisture as the cold weather had not hit yet. They were all in very dry soil when I collected them. Mine now get only morning sun.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think we could say that this is a characteristic of the Vine maples specifically, but typical of broadleaf deciduous trees when hit by a cold snap after the first leaves emerge in spring. After the weather warms up the leaves are normal. Doesn't hurt any to remove these after the new leaves are set.
I've had better luck collecting Vines starting in mid February through the normal repotting season in spring. It is imperative for fall collected trees that they are not allowed to freeze over the ensuing winter. I don't have a freeze proof facility to keep trees in so I don't do fall collecting.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like vine maples.

But do not own one..

Just came to help..

Calling in reinforcements.

@NOZZLE HEAD knows about, and thoroughly enjoys discussing these Acers.

:)

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Mine were collected in the fall, and I do have winter protection that does not get below 33 degrees. I'll get a picture of the vines and post. I have also changed fertilizer this year and am using miracle grow every 2 weeks. That could have pushed the new leaves also. I have a lot more growth, and back budding on pines (Lodge Poles) and everything else using this fertilizer. Please don't get the idea that I know what I am doing, cause I don't.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LoL, I like that Peter. I'm certainly no educated professional, though I did root prune and repot over 100 trees this spring and none of them turned black, so I think I might be on to something here, lol.
Any really trunky ones in your neck of the woods? I have my eye on several in the 3"-5" range and a couple of hugh clump formations. Debating on whether to chop them now and get some shoots going, or wait to chop when I collect and go for the spring flush. Suggestions welcome.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know vine maples, have never owned one. I do have other maples.

I would not worry about the first set of leaves going south. As long as you have a "good set" on the trees, if the oldest leaves drop its not a big deal. But again, I have no vine maple experience. Possibly your vine maples are still adding to their roots systems, and the new growth out-grew the root system, so they drop a few older leaves to keep in balance. If they are the ones doing the balancing, it will work out fine. I would do nothing but maybe remove the wilted leaves.

4 success for 4 attempts at fall collecting for vine maples suggests that its not a bad time to collect them them. Your winter storage worked for them. You should feel free to collect more, and other deciduous too. Autumn collecting of deciduous has the advantage you can see leaves, and identify the species before you collect.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
LoL, I like that Peter. I'm certainly no educated professional, though I did root prune and repot over 100 trees this spring and none of them turned black, so I think I might be on to something here, lol.
Any really trunky ones in your neck of the woods? I have my eye on several in the 3"-5" range and a couple of hugh clump formations. Debating on whether to chop them now and get some shoots going, or wait to chop when I collect and go for the spring flush. Suggestions welcome.

I actually have no vine maples in my area. I collected mine from the Snoqualmie pass area last fall when I was driving over to see a friend. There are tons of vines of all shapes and sizes over there. Mine are not big by any means. I do have Rocky Mt maples though, but they say they are not good bonsai trees. I collected a small one and had it for two + years, and it just sat in a pot and did nothing but look the same for two years. Boring...garbage can for it! I might try and collect a bigger one this fall.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh! Right! I see you're in the N.E. of Oregon, kind of diagonally across the state from me. That's Western Larch country and maybe junipers? I spent a summer and fall season outside of Prairie City, up the East Fork Malher River doing pre-commercial thinning in the Big Cow Burn. Many years ago now, lol, but I recall the Larch turning on the ridges around there.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I took one of my vines down and brought it in for a photo. After looking this and the other Vines, I think I have something going on here that is not good. You thoughts would be appreciated.

Just so you know what I am seeing: the original leaves are pretty dark green, kinda droopy, curled down, some have small holes, some don't. I have not been loosing leaves, but have had new leaves, lighter green, come on. A lot of leaves have the browning/scorched look around the edges and some leaves have it other places also. Help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 16

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
They are in good draining bonsai soil, but I do have a tendency to water to much. Would to much watering cause that? I was thinking it might be Anthracnose or a Wilt fungus, but I am not good with diseases yet.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine had trouble with leaf mildew. Don't water foliage. Sprayed with anti mildew can't remember with what. Also do before leaf opening in Spring and systemic. Lost one still have other one;).

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
And it probably doesn't help that there is collected soil around the roots. I will get rid of that next spring. I am wondering if I should defoliate all old leaves now and let them start over again? And, yes, I will stop top watering also.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have defoliated vine maples with crispy leaves, at the same time as acer palmatum, and the vine maples never have pushed out a second growth of leaves like a vigorous palmatum. The Vine Maples I defoliated flushed out next spring as usual, but it did not cure the foliar issue for the following season. My gut says my problem is a combo of anthracnose and sunshine.

Those symptoms look like they could be a nutrient issue. Water pH?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vine Maples are usually tough as nails and used to a lot of dry during the summer.

I hate to confuse the narrative, but looks like over watering to me. I’d say try easing up and letting the soil get drier, even tip the pots with a stone or wedge so the water table is lower to help keep them drier.

best of luck to you!
DSD sends

Last edited:

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vine Maples are usually tough as nails and used to a lot of dry during the summer.

I hate to confuse the narrative, but looks like over watering to me. I’d say try easing up and letting the soil get drier, even tip the pots with a stone or wedge so the water table is lower to help keep them drier.

best of luck to you!
DSD sends
I’m not discounting that it could be overwatering, but...
I water my vine maples the same way as I do my other maples, ginnala, palmatum, and griseum, and one of my vine maples has weird leaf issues and the others do not.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, my vine maples are rugged individuals! I figure some just didn't get enough love in their childhood or something. So sometimes I give the roots a shot of copper sulfate, just because. Mostly works. Strange...

@Peter44 's tree just spoke out over-watering to me. Curly leaf ends proceeding up the leaf, but that's me. I always think of anthracnose as spots before my eyes, dunno why....

Maples are really strange at times. I'm having a weird issue with my Coonaria Pygmy.... Sometimes some of its leaves get curly or turn upside down. I'm thinking that it still hasn't adjusted to our continent, being from down under.

Cheers
DSD sends

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Water is a pH 5-6, so would guess that is ok. If Vines are prone to not liking to be overwatered, then that might be the problem. I do water them like I do other maples and the rest of the maples do not have this problem, just the Vines. After looking at my trees and then pictures of maple diseases I was about sure that they all had Anthracnose. They sure look like the pictures of maples with that disease. Either way, I'm not liking having to look at those ugly trees all summer, and if there going to follow the same course next year, I want no part of them. I think it's Hagadorn (sp) up in Portland who works with these isn't it?

Top Bottom