Vintage/Antique trimmers

BonsaiBoyII

Seedling
Reaction score
New to the site, and it's great! I just got this pair of trimmers, not sure what they are. It sat in a cool, dry box in a basement for the last 43 years! They have 4 inch cutting blades; looked everywhere and couldn't find 4 inch, lots of 2 inch and less. Has makers mark on both sides. It has a "fuller" groove along the inside of both cutting blades which say they were made by some kind of metalsmith. The fuller allows the blade to widen with less metal while keeping the strength without adding more weight. Attached pics. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_20211208_085615570.jpg
    IMG_20211208_085615570.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20220618_063636090.jpg
    IMG_20220618_063636090.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20220618_063706106.jpg
    IMG_20220618_063706106.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 66

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dope.

Wanna trade?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

BonsaiBoyII

Seedling
Reaction score
I wouldn't disagree! But they are built and carry all the characteristics of a bonsai trimmer. Btw, they are sharp as a razor. The trimmers came back with some military items (daggers etc) from WW2 from the European/Asian theater of operations. Been researching them for the last 2 months without really learning anything. But now I really would love to confirm what they are, just how old, any info! Thanks!

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are only worth something if the curled ends are scrolled which would indicate they were used by a master. These are common field medic shears.

BonsaiBoyII

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow! Ok, well, I guess my mystery is solved. The last two issues are their age; as mentioned above, they sat in a box for 43-ish years plus the time they were used make them 70-80 years old.
Lastly, and I promise I will quit with the questions! Are the makers marks on both sides Japanese? Any idea what they say?
Ok, and thank you for taking the time!!
This is a great site!!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fullers were incorporated into many old Japanese swords.
I think you have a pair of Samurai scissors.
Used in service to a daimyo and called Kutamuchi.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fullers were incorporated into many old Japanese swords.
I think you have a pair of Samurai scissors.
Used in service to a daimyo and called Kutamuchi.
Could you clarify? The "samurai" thing is giving me pause. The scissors may have been made in the latter half of the Meiji reformation (1868-1912), which saw former samurai swordsmiths out of work with the abolition of the feudal system that employed them. Those swordsmiths no longer had a market for their weapons, so they turned to making other tools and art. Some of the most fantastic Japanese metal art (bronze, steel, etc) were produced in the latter half of that period as those smiths turned their considerable metalworking skills towards other applications. These may be of that period, possibly early 20th century. They're definitely not (IMO) for bonsai, however. Not saying they're worth a fortune, just that they could be from the early 20th century.

Last edited:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I seem to have derailed my own spoof.
I used to collect Japanese swords.
I regret selling this one mostly due to the smith's transition from blades to tools.

0wholesword.JPG

Back to my OP, I kinda thought maybe possibly someone would pronounce "Kutamuchi" phonetically and realize it said,

"Cut-a-muchy"

...........................................Oh well, back to manhandling plants. 😞

BonsaiBoyII

Seedling
Reaction score
I regret selling this one mostly due to the smith's transition from blades to tools.

View attachment 443640

Back to my OP, I kinda thought maybe possibly someone would pronounce "Kutamuchi" phonetically and realize it said,

"Cut-a-muchy"

...........................................Oh well, back to manhandling plants. 😞
Haha! I love it! I read it, then read it again and said "wait a minute". I had no idea if you were riffing me! Thank you for that!
So, the part about the out of work samurai sword makers is true? Like I mentioned in an earlier post that I could account them being in my family's possession for around 75+ years. I knew there was something about them. Looking online for hours trying to find any 4 inch cutting blades; and then the fuller in the blades? Huh? Well, I am keeping them for now. If I could find someone that is connected to the maker, I would give them back. Kinda wish I saw these when my Godfather was alive and asked him....."um, where did you get these"?!
Again, thank you both, that was great!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 443640

"Cut-a-muchy"

You were being too subtle 😁 . I kind of thought it was a joke, but wasn't sure...which is why I asked.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha! I love it! I read it, then read it again and said "wait a minute". I had no idea if you were riffing me! Thank you for that!
So, the part about the out of work samurai sword makers is true? Like I mentioned in an earlier post that I could account them being in my family's possession for around 75+ years. I knew there was something about them. Looking online for hours trying to find any 4 inch cutting blades; and then the fuller in the blades? Huh? Well, I am keeping them for now. If I could find someone that is connected to the maker, I would give them back. Kinda wish I saw these when my Godfather was alive and asked him....."um, where did you get these"?!
Again, thank you both, that was great!
No. The part about a sword maker COULD be true. not a given. Even if they are the product of such a person, it doesn't make them valuable--the riveting is kind of shaky... I think the guess about them being field medical equipment is probably right, particularly if these were brought stateside during/right after WWII. and FWIW, the markings could well be labeling as in "field medical shear #1" or something.

Last edited:

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No. The part about a sword maker COULD be true. not a given. Even if they are the product of such a person, it doesn't make them valuable--the riveting is kind of shaky... I think the guess about them being field medical equipment is probably right, particularly if these were brought stateside during/right after WWII. and FWIW, the markings could well be labeling as in "field medical shear #1" or something.
No, i was being mean, I think I turned into a troll.
I saw the groove and thought it was to divert liquid of some sort while cutting, but now, I think it is to deliver poison. Spy fake doctor scissors.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh hell yes I would love my blades to make a whistling sound as I cut

BonsaiBoyII

Seedling
Reaction score
No, i was being mean, I think I turned into a troll.
I saw the groove and thought it was to divert liquid of some sort while cutting, but now, I think it is to deliver poison. Spy fake doctor scissors.
It gets better and better! Killin' me!!

Top Bottom