Vintage Bonsai Pot ID?

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello everybody, just saw these vintage pots up for sale on Facebook Marketplace in my area.

I’m wondering if anybody has any idea of where these came from (China or Japan) and perhaps what year? I’m also curious as to what the pots have written on them, I’m sure the pot buffs know a thing or two about these.

03635A7C-7462-4494-B8AC-0C7C239C3746.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think they're locally made, actually.
The style is unusual for Chinese or Japanese standards and it's uncommon to have a makers mark on the front side, especially if it's Japanese.
They usually don't boast. Us Westerners do, that's why I think it's made locally.

If anyone can translate the words on them, you'd probably know for sure.

Honestly, I know very little about pots and ceramics but these are nowhere close to any Japanese or Chinese works I have seen.

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the advice!

I do agree with you on that point, now that I think about it. I heard Western potters like to make ‘loud’ pots, while Japanese/Chinese potters like a more subdued pot, as from what I’ve heard by Bjorn.

Hopefully one of my friends will be able to translate and I can get a clue as to where this is from.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
These are Chinese or Taiwanese. I don't think they are very old or valuable. The seal on the front is common for decorative objects sold in gift shops in the Chinese diaspora. The hand is not western and neither is the clay.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think they're locally made, actually.
The style is unusual for Chinese or Japanese standards and it's uncommon to have a makers mark on the front side, especially if it's Japanese.
They usually don't boast. Us Westerners do, that's why I think it's made locally.

If anyone can translate the words on them, you'd probably know for sure.

Honestly, I know very little about pots and ceramics but these are nowhere close to any Japanese or Chinese works I have seen.
Chinese pots. This style is pretty common in Chinese books on penjing, same with the writing on them. Those aren't "makers' marks" on the front. Inscriptions are not all that unusual on Chinese made pots. Some include a cartouche on the side made to hold a quote or saying. I have some Chinese pots that are typical design, but have writing on the top of the rim. The local seller, who is Chinese, said the inscription on one pot rim read "young and healthy" Writing is not unusual on Chinese pots,

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Inscriptions are not all that unusual on Chinese made pots

Yes, it seems to be a transcription according to my friend who is Chinese. The inscriptions are to be read from right to left, with the large pot on the left having "松风水月" on it, roughly meaning quiet and beautiful scenes.

My friend's best guess for the right pot is "精秋", which my friend said doesn't really make sense. He said 精 means to be skillful/to be great at, and 秋 means autumn, but together they don't make sense.

For $30 for the small pot, and $70 for the large pot, do you guys think it's worth it, or should I pass?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, it seems to be a transcription according to my friend who is Chinese. The inscriptions are to be read from right to left, with the large pot on the left having "松风水月" on it, roughly meaning quiet and beautiful scenes.

My friend's best guess for the right pot is "精秋", which my friend said doesn't really make sense. He said 精 means to be skillful/to be great at, and 秋 means autumn, but together they don't make sense.

For $30 for the small pot, and $70 for the large pot, do you guys think it's worth it, or should I pass?
Fair prices I think, IF you have some stuff that will work with them. They're penjing pots for the most part.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the advice!

I do agree with you on that point, now that I think about it. I heard Western potters like to make ‘loud’ pots, while Japanese/Chinese potters like a more subdued pot, as from what I’ve heard by Bjorn.

Hopefully one of my friends will be able to translate and I can get a clue as to where this is from.
Baloney. I've watched these via the internet over the years, and they are very avant garde.

Top Bottom