Vintage Hokusai book with drawings

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Last weekend I found this vintage Hokusai book with 86 drawings in a thrift shop for only € 4,95.

The book (French language) is printed in 1955 and it is in a relative good condition.

If you use Google you can find more info on this book and the drawings.

It is not necessarily bonsai related but I like this type of Japanse art.

Attachments

• 20221116_125411.jpg
    20221116_125411.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 94
  • 20221116_125500.jpg
    20221116_125500.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 77

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last weekend I found this vintage Hokusai book with 86 drawings in a thrift shop for only € 4,95.

The book (French language) is printed in 1955 and it is in a relative good condition.

It is not necessarily bonsai related but I like this type of Japanse art.
Nice book. Keep in mind "vintage" is a relative thing with Japanese prints, Ukiyoe era woodblock prints like Hokusai's originate in the late 1700's, BUT since they're made with carved woodblocks they can be made anytime (if someone has the original blocks). Values differ according to printing date, who oversaw the printing and other stuff. The book is likely reproductions or prints made (relatively) recently.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe this, also. Judging on the 'pulp'.

Very neat, either way, though!
Good Japanese prints are printed on mulberry paper (called washi), which soaks up ink more readily than plain paper. It has a different texture than "regular" paper. Can't tell from the photos if that is used here.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good Japanese prints are printed on mulberry paper (called washi), which soaks up ink more readily than plain paper. It has a different texture than "regular" paper. Can't tell from the photos if that is used here.
Awesome! I did not know that!

Thank you!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome! I did not know that!

Thank you!
Sure. I blame bonsai for getting me into woodblock prints and they have as many things to learn about as bonsai does. I particularly like "Shin Hanga" prints, which are more western in flavor.

Attachments

• koson.jpg
    koson.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 84

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sure. I blame bonsai for getting me into woodblock prints and they have as many things to learn about as bonsai does. I particularly like "Shin Hanga" prints, which are more western in flavor.
Fantastic!!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do a search on "Ohara Koson," or Kawase Hasui, or Hiroshi Yoshida (include "Niagara Falls in the Yoshida search)
Wow!

The work (OHara) with birds is especially breathtaking. I LOVE the crane and peacock prints!

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do a search on "Ohara Koson," or Kawase Hasui, or Hiroshi Yoshida (include "Niagara Falls in the Yoshida search)
Thank you @rockm -- I'm knocked out but the light portrayed in Kawase Hasui's architecture+landscapes -- and I'm just in awe of the printmaking skill of all three. Marvelous!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you @rockm -- I'm knocked out but the light portrayed in Kawase Hasui's architecture+landscapes -- and I'm just in awe of the printmaking skill of all three. Marvelous!
Kawase Hasui's son Toshi--look carefully at what the guy at the left is working on...

Attachments

• yoshida.jpg
    yoshida.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 73

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have several of Toshi Yoshida's prints. Have never seen this one. It's charming! I love the Shin Hanga prints. What a rabbit hole one can go down though!

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Kawase Hasui's son Toshi--look carefully at what the guy at the left is working on...
Toshi Yoshida is the son of Hiroshi Yoshida - a great woodblock print master of the 19th Century. Both father and son traveled extensively all over the world, so it's fun to see prints of Mount Rainier, the Egyptian Pyramids, market scenes in the middle East, along with more typical Japanese scenes.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Toshi Yoshida is the son of Hiroshi Yoshida - a great woodblock print master of the 19th Century. Both father and son traveled extensively all over the world, so it's fun to see prints of Mount Rainier, the Egyptian Pyramids, market scenes in the middle East, along with more typical Japanese scenes.
Oops you're right. Miswrote the guy's heritage.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several of Toshi Yoshida's prints. Have never seen this one. It's charming! I love the Shin Hanga prints. What a rabbit hole one can go down though!
Me too. This was the first one I got.

jazvessels

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

It is not necessarily bonsai related but I like this type of Japanese art.
I have a couple of Hokusai Ukioye prints. Loved Japanese woodblock prints before bonsai. How about Bonsai in Ukiyoe.

ueki-fukujuso-uri_u-l-q1p4m0x0.jpg

Top Bottom