Virginia creeper bonsai...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really wish to create a weeping form that I seen on one of these. I chose this one for it's base. A quick description of it:
Here is a nice Virginia Creeper Vine. It is approx 10+ years old. It is 15" tall from soil line. The aged trunk is 1 and 1/4" in diameter. The nebari is 7 1/2". It gets a lovely red in fall and gets black/blue berries. It is potted in a round 10x4 inch blue ceramic pot which is included. Please ask any questions before bidding.

Been scouring the internet trying to learn how to create back budding up at the top. Finding really nothing. So I am hoping one here may know. I checked all past threads...nothing enlightening.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: Vin

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Parth.html good article!

I had one once. And look at wild ones often.

They tend to bud back at the knuckle type things, of which, yours has none visible. ?

I love the fall colors, and the berries are amazing looking.

I like yours.

Beware the allergic reaction.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Parth.html good article!

I had one once. And look at wild ones often.

They tend to bud back at the knuckle type things, of which, yours has none visible. ?

I love the fall colors, and the berries are amazing looking.

I like yours.

Beware the allergic reaction.

Sorce

Thanks for the link...yes, I was always told it was poison oak. So when I learned it wasn't. I assumed I may have a contact issue with it. But the blue berries would look rather nice with the pot color. I was hoping to create a weeping to allow it to cascade down past the pot so it would not look overly bulky with their to have deeper pots for water. (What I've read)

Knuckle type things...hm-mmm I may have to figure something else out then for a style direction to go. Curious if one could graft those lower branches up to the top.

I liked the base...and thought the movement would be nice to carry a weeping style. We shall see...didn't pay much for it. Felt it was worth tinkering around with. No big loss if it

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm sure I'll figure it out...what little I found on the species it is. Is that all comment on the color of fall and the berries. I just caught myself wondering on the vibrant reds with black spot in our area..not much red in the foliage for fall. Though raised as this was poison oak. I am a bit amused I just figured out it wasn't this past year. Though...it can cause a skin issue with some. I will treat it as such.

Just trudging along keeping it happy and healthy will be my goal. It's coming from a warmer climate. Though known to thrive in my own climate...checked out an old vine with no character this evening actually by the house. Curious...is it just the leaves that are an issue...or the bark area a well with skin issues?

I'll have the cold greenhouse...but ponder if I should treat it as I did my wisteria last winter and keep it indoors since it was from a warmer climate. Or...should it acclimate to my cooler temps alright by winter? Thoughts? (Cold greenhouse?)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks better now deeper in the pot, I think because it is so minimal now.

I would explore exposing the roots again when it is full, I do like the roots.

Looks like it's giving you some options! I look forward to watching this one!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Source...I did wonder if it was over whelming because of lack of structure to the tree. Time will tell. If it can be re-exposed. At this time...it seems right.

These creepers I was reminded are rapid growers. So I guess I'll be pinching back for ramification this season. In all honestly...I have no real vision I see this going. I guess it will depend on what it offers up. Possibly seeing growth will give me more clarity.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks Source...I did wonder if it was over whelming because of lack of structure to the tree. Time will tell. If it can be re-exposed. At this time...it seems right.

These creepers I was reminded are rapid growers. So I guess I'll be pinching back for ramification this season. In all honestly...I have no real vision I see this going. I guess it will depend on what it offers up. Possibly seeing growth will give me more clarity.

My creeper already has 12" extensions, they grow like mad since it's a vine. I would let it grow for a bit(6"+ growth)then cut back to keep it back to one or two buds to encourage backbuding. They love throwing out suckers so cut those flush on your first trim. Since you don't have a definitive plan I would just keep it healthy and let it grow, and fertilize well and you can get crazy growth and development in one growing season.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:cool: Thanks Giga...I'll watch for suckers. Though I imagine the one who had this before me has the lower branches to thicken up that base. So I will let those continue to grow and thicken that area. But will keep others at bay. Thanks! So this is a tree/vine that will allow me to see quick results.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just an update...I must admit. I second guessed my judgment on this tree. When the top was all vine and hanging below the pot. (No photos of that sorry) But gave it a little hair cut...and feel much better about this project. Looking forward to when it shows it's best come Fall.
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Left it grow out...but, with an upcoming graduation party at the house. I'm pondering what direction I wish to take with this for now. I'm considering removing all sacrifice vines at the base to the trunk of the tree. And allowing the top vine on the canopy weep down to the left of the tree. (Possibly a light wiring job for movement) Until I can fully develop the canopy of the tree. If I eventually build a nice crown then I might consider removing the weeping vines. (Still a work in progress with uncertain direction)

Just curious since I am a novice so to speak...if others think I'm taking the right "next" direction with this creeper.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: Vin

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Those sacrifices should be left on honestly if you want to add more size to it. The sacrifices on creepers should be left on for a whole season to add good size. Wire if you want as well, but trees need to ugly while the develop, that way they look better when they more developed.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You have a point Giga...though, I've only slightly cut the top back once...and given fertilizer. I've had more push of growth at the base. To the extent that strong winds broke a few from the tree. (Bending them and splitting a bit) The base was much fuller before I left for Honduras. I cut a few of the longer vines that were damaged off because they looked unhealthy. Figured it was putting a strain on the overall health of the tree trying to supliment the damaged vines. (Though could be wrong)

Just puzzled at why the top isn't pushing the growth as quickly as the bottom.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wired branches tend to grow slower than branches that aren't wired.

Thanks for sharing that tidbit. I was just thinking of protecting the vine. But, it's a Virginia Creeper...not like it won't toss out another if it would become damaged in the wind.

But, NOTHING is wired on this tree. Should it still be slower to grow on top than the vines at the base? Oh wait...the trunk is wired...so could that be the reason?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Isn't the whole trunk wired?
You are correct,my bad...I went back to edit once it registered...and you were faster. I had not done the wiring job. So I guess it slipped my mind that it had wire on it. I was thinking of branches...as in the canopy that I was considering wiring.

Not sure when it was wired...didn't think to ask the seller. Since it's not biting into the bark I thought to leave it until it shows it might damage it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Look at this example. A flowering cherry on which I wired the new leader (1) and primary branch (2).
I left other branches alone (3,4). Those unwired branches far outgrew the wired ones in one growing season.
You can see a bit of wire on (4) in the first photo, but a sucker at its base sprouted and ran, and it was not wired.
Goes to show its best to grow trunk movement rather than wire it if you're growing out a big trunk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 106
Top Bottom