Visions of the American West

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would love to go see the dam attractions of Colorado,maybe a little panning for gold,some uranium/fossil prospecting,cactus biome perusal,maybe even hunting wolves from mooseback.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Klytus, Don't forget your side saddle and crop.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Indeed,my tackle i can place the other side.

There is almost too much to do in the Rockies,John Bunyan,Coonskin caps,mesolithic tools...

Maybe it was Paul Bunyan,i always get them confused.

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
2012 is going to have a lot of great conventions. Golden State Bonsai Federation's convention in Sacramento in October, "California Dreamin'" is shaping up to be one not to miss. The exhibit will feature bonsai exclusively of trees indigenous to California. Headliners will be Ryan Neil, Kathy Shaner, and David Nguy.
We're planning a lot of great workshops and activities as well as suiseki hunting, a trip to see the famous Big Trees redwoods, Wine tasting tour, limo rides to local bonsai nurseries, and much more.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that does look like a great time. Rockm, maybe you can convince my wife that it is a "can't miss" event? I doubt she'll believe me if I tell her. :rolleyes:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Includes our once in a while visitor John Kirby.

West coast show tour anyone, can be like the ole days of following the Dead tours.

good_ol_jr77

Sapling
Reaction score
This would be even better if it was held a month earlier and collecting trips were part of it =)!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is except David will be one of the houses on the "home tour", along with Peter Macasieb (Maria Kapra at BT). Riverside that is.

These headliners are getting a little monotonous.

New Blood, New Blood, New Blood!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
It is except David will be one of the houses on the "home tour", along with Peter Macasieb (Maria Kapra at BT). Riverside that is.

Point taken, Al.
Who'd you really like to see?
Paul

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks like a "can't miss" next year. Pure American bonsai anyone?

http://absbonsai.org/latest-news/150-rocky-mountain-bonsai-a-suiseki

Forgive me for playing the cynic, Rockm, but the headliners, with one exception, don't strike me as "pure American bonsai," featuring "Visions of the American West," except perhaps that they will most likely be using mainly native species. If Kimura works on a RMJ in Reno under the watchful eye of a coyote, is it "pure American bonsai"?

Pretty much the same thing, with pretty much the usual suspects, coming up at the regional PSBA convention held in Seattle this year, where the overwhelming emphasis is on the five star hotel being used as the venue. The title for this bonsai convention? "Elegance in the Emerald City." Yawn.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score

Jeez Al, Ryan is about as "new" as they get........and he is just getting started!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man, having Peter Macasieb as a headliner only reminds me that we are getting old!
A few years ago we were just beginners, and now he is a headliner. ....or was it just a few years ago?

No, no,, not a headliner...

...on the home tour.....

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jeez Al, Ryan is about as "new" as they get........and he is just getting started!

I knew Ryan when he was a student at Cal Poly and came to the Hanford club meetings. Sat next to him and helped him with gallon junipers. This is before anyone even heard of Ryan Neil. This was back in 1998.

I'm talkin about bringing someone here that has never been to America before. Something different that has not been seen.

Would love to see Tony Tickle sand blast some deadwood.

Would love to see Kevin Wilson work on a huge Yew or Juniper.

I'm sure others could add to this ist.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Al.
I, too, am a big Kevin Wilson fan.
As you know, planning and budgeting these things is the hardest part. Ryan and Kathy are arguably the biggest rock stars with California roots which is why we got their commitments early for our California Native theme. We'll see...

Paul

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Forgive me for playing the cynic, Rockm, but the headliners, with one exception, don't strike me as "pure American bonsai," featuring "Visions of the American West," except perhaps that they will most likely be using mainly native species. If Kimura works on a RMJ in Reno under the watchful eye of a coyote, is it "pure American bonsai"?"

:rolleyes: :DI knew someone would chime in on this The title isn't really Japanese is it? It isn't "Visions of Omiya" Maybe, given the American material being used, it MIGHT not be a typical "Kimura juniper" event...???

Top Bottom