Visiting National Arboretum next month!

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Enjoyed my visit to the Penjing. Watched staff grooming trees that are hundreds of years old... kicking myself for shooting stills of that and not moving in close for video footage.

The trees are magnificent, but I was a little surprised at the limited variety of species. Been to some local bonsai club displays at orchid and camellia club shows, and really enjoy the species variety, creativity, work-in process, and risk-taking you see at a club level, vs the museum level. Sadly, it was raining intermittently, so I could not walk the bowls. No regrets whatsoever for the trip out there - looking forward to seeing the other parts of the gardens on another visit. I’ll post a few pics when I get a minute.

Took a cab out there from the Woodley Park area @ $30; Uber’d back, for half that.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Enjoyed my visit to the Penjing. Watched staff grooming trees that are hundreds of years old... kicking myself for shooting stills of that and not moving in close for video footage.

The trees are magnificent, but I was a little surprised at the limited variety of species. Been to some local bonsai club displays at orchid and camellia club shows, and really enjoy the species variety, creativity, work-in process, and risk-taking you see at a club level, vs the museum level. Sadly, it was raining intermittently, so I could not walk the bowls. No regrets whatsoever for the trip out there - looking forward to seeing the other parts of the gardens on another visit. I’ll post a few pics when I get a minute.

Took a cab out there from the Woodley Park area @ $30; Uber’d back, for half that.
Agreed on species/variety. Basically they run much more traditional. They have astoundingly good/cool trees, but they don't feature a lot of variety.

Part of this is why it never occurred to me that I could do bonsai. That point was driven home when I saw local backyard/club level work.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny. I used to live up in the DC area for a number of years and I never was able to get to the National Arboretum, but I can't remember why. It was closed for renovation or something? I can't remember, but the next time I get up there I'll make a point of going! Please do take lots of photos and I hope you have a great trip!

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score

The trees are magnificent, but I was a little surprised at the limited variety of species. Been to some local bonsai club displays at orchid and camellia club shows, and really enjoy the species variety, creativity, work-in process, and risk-taking you see at a club level, vs the museum level.

The arboretum's bonsai collection is quite varied, but not all of the trees are on display at any given time. :)

Sounds like you came yesterday. Today was beautiful.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The arboretum's bonsai collection is quite varied, but not all of the trees are on display at any given time. :)

Sounds like you came yesterday. Today was beautiful.
It was Tuesday. Only day on this trip I could squeeze it in. I get up here 3-4 times a year, so I'll be back out there.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've been going to the arb's collection for going on 30 years now. Never really thought it to be deficient in species.

What I have found over the years, is that there are so many species on display that one tends to assume they know what they're looking at.

The Japanese pavilion does tend towards "classic" species--black, white pine, maple, etc. However, all of those are exceptional examples of traditional--Also among those are some gems, mature, old Ezo spruce, magnolia, Camellia, Eurya, Japanese hemlock and persimmon. The attraction in that exhibit is certainly not "how many species can we show off." But "how many world class trees can you see in an afternoon?" It's helpful to be aware that what you're looking at in that space are probably some of the best bonsai of those species outside of Japan. History and lineage are the special traits there.

In the North American pavilion, all bets are off. Spectacular number of species, from California redwood, bald cypress, European hornbeam, an forest of actual Foemina! (Goshin), Atlas cedar, three kinds of hawthorn, California juniper, Montezuma cypress, olive, Southern Sweetgum, red maple, cedar elm, American beech...the tropical greenhouse has some species that are not all that common in the trade--Christmas Berry-Schinus terebinthifolius for one.

The Chinese pavilion has a few too. Golden Larch --pseudolarix, which isn't seen too often if at all outside of China.

If you're looking for "experimental" bonsai, you're not going to find them. Not the place for it. However, some of the compositions in the North American and Chinese pavilions are artfully and skillfully composed. Goshin aside, there are a couple of forests that are spectacular.

Also, trees aren't the only thing to look at. The pots some of those trees are in are spectacular (and valuable) too. Some in the Chinese pavilion are worth more than my car and are older than the U.S.

Attachments

• elmtrunkchop.jpg
    elmtrunkchop.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 7
  • kuojuniper1.jpg
    kuojuniper1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 8
  • lenz.jpg
    lenz.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 9
  • montecypress.jpg
    montecypress.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 8
  • natarbcatlinelm.jpg
    natarbcatlinelm.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 9
  • natarbjuniper.jpg
    natarbjuniper.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
  • blackpine.jpg
    blackpine.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 8
  • blackpine2.jpg
    blackpine2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 8

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, there are some special exhibits that DO take some chances. I believe I took this photo a couple of years ago at one of those exhibits...treeclimb.jpg

Top Bottom