• Maybe?

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My work regularly takes me across the U.S. sometimes I have time to spare due to flight schedules or whatever. I've thought about messaging other nuts at times to see if they may want to meet up, maybe even share their gardens. Of course I know it's odd and wouldn't want to offend anyone. Just thought I'd throw this poll out to see what others thought.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I try to work in bonsai wherever I'm traveling. Once, while tagging along at a conference for my wife, I'd asked elsewhere if there was any bonsai to be seen in that area. Someone messaged me and told me I was welcome to visit while in the area. I spent an afternoon in the backyard of a guy who's shown several trees at the US National show.

On bonsaiTalk, I asked if there was anything to do in another town and received a similar offer, ...except he trekked me around to 2 other guy's houses in the area as well.

I've been in one other (regular) bN-er's backyard as well, but the relationship exists outside of bN.

As for welcoming someone to my place, I wouldn't be opposed in a few months. (Hopefully within the year at least.). At present its not exactly presentable ...or at least not like I'd like it to be. As obnoxious as bonsai folks are online, in person they're absolutely the best.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It all depends upon the history of the "relationship". Even though I live on a canal which has more cameras watching nice boats in back yards than cameras on the street, I would like to be able to assess the character of the individual over some time period. Bonsai are entirely too transportable to have casual visitors you don't know. I arranged garden walks for a Hosta club for 15 years and we limited visitors to club members and their guests. Paid public tours or free city tours can bring people who are looking at all the wrong stuff and don't actually look like gardeners. That makes me nervous.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Cadillactaste , I completely agree, covid is a no go, but we'll move past this soon enough. I certainly was considering under normal situations.

@bwaynef , I kind of assumed this would be the best protocol, send a feeler pm and see what's up

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Not right now, when I haven't even seen my best friends for months. But I met up with Stickroot at a local bonsai nursery (now closed) and I met @Leo in N E Illinois at a bonsai show a few years back. Neither clubbed me over the head, stole my purse or threw me into the trunk of their car. So, yeah if I felt I knew them well enough.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste , I completely agree, covid is a no go, but we'll move past this soon enough. I certainly was considering under normal situations.

@bwaynef , I kind of assumed this would be the best protocol, send a feeler pm and see what's up
Gotcha...I would only open my door to ones I knew...or their friends I knew well. I got to go to a guy's home who didn't know me. His trees were spectacular. I took no photos out of respect. He doesn't share them with social media. For a private lesson with Adam Lavigne. I was grateful he opened his home to me...a stranger. Because I knew Adam...so he knew he could trust me.

It would have to be the same way...I would open a door to a stranger. If they really knew a close friend. That's even with me just being a backyard hobbiest... That...and ones grasp I butcher pronunciation. But I've practice saying Bonsai. 🤣 I won't fall on my face right out the gate like I did up at the Cincinnati Bonsai Group again.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not sure why anyone would want to come to Tucson but if ya do... I’m vaccinated so pm me! 😜
(I’ll still wear a mask though!)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have people come over all the time. They never leave without something. They don't steal because they don't want to end up at your house all .....on a pot with a "new line of glaze".🧐

Sorce

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ll let people stop by here in the hopefully near future, but not right now. One person from our local club stopped by to pick up some books but distance was kept as well as masks. I’ve let my guard down very little over the last 10 months. Asthma and a scarred lung already, I don’t need any more damage done to them.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I’m ok with anyone that wants to stop by. If you want I’ll wear a mask if not I don’t care. I’m low low risk and am not worried. I’ll get vaccinated when it’s available to everyone too.

If you come be prepared to help direct me on what to do with my trees! I’ll always take advice!

Top Bottom