Vitis / Grape Bonsai

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I picked up 4 beautiful old Vitis Vinifera vines today after seeing Harry Harrington's recent post about carving one. The plan is to keep 2 and sell 2 on. Pictures to follow if it ever stops raining, it's been raining pretty much constantly for the last 12 days. My allotment is flooded and everything that didn't drown has been devoured by an onslaught of slugs and snails. I'm just hoping my Hawthorn and Barberry will survive.

I've been looking for examples of Grape bonsai but they seem few and far between. Does anyone have any examples? I've seen Walter Palls post on here but his post says he's only had it around a year. I've read that leaf size obviously plays a huge role in what makes good bonsai, there seems to be a lot of material around but no-one seems to carry it through to completion or they just don't document it online.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been looking for examples of Grape bonsai but they seem few and far between. Does anyone have any examples?
I want to add to your request @Sn0W.
I have access to five wine grapes that have been in the ground for about 30 years. I'm told they will be replace by table grapes to be planted this Fall. I have no idea the best time to collect or if there are any special precautions I should take. They've been chopped to within two feet of the trunk and are regrowing healthily.
Looking ahead, what should I do with them? I think I may have seen perhaps a photo of a Vitis as a bonsai. Not trying to hijack this thread, I'd welcome pictures.

Top Bottom