Vitis Vinefera

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well this is bigger than it looked in the pictures but still very cool. It's got some lovely twists on the trunk and some nice hollows and deadwood that can probably have something done to it.
All in all a nice score I'd say.

IMG_7575xd.jpg
500ml beer can for scale.

IMG_7576sd.jpg

IMG_7578gd.jpg

IMG_7579dd.jpg

I know lots of the in's and out's of growing these things for the wine industry but training as bonsai will be a whole different thing I'd guess. There was someone on a Mirai podcast a while ago who knows grapes, if anybody recall who that was I'd appreciate it so I can give it another listen to.
Honestly thought I'd be happy to never see a vine again but I'm pretty excited with this, I guess I'm growing as an individual. lol.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Update.

We have a naked vine, still seems ok so hopefully can nurse this through winter.
Soon I will do some light trimming and add some wire for shape. Also think I'll look to do a repot over winter/spring as I really want it in a substrate I understand better. Probably put it back in the same pot as I doubt I'll find one big enough for it that I like and can afford.

IMG_9599dx.jpg

I also had a bit of a poke around and cleared out some of the dead wood as seen in another thread, not a lot but enough to find a couple of nice hollows and plenty of deadwood structure to play with. I guess my plan with that is to try and carve/blend the round looking cuts and then give it a bit of a deeper clean out and lime sulfur it. Bit hesitant with that so I'm not in a rush but think it'd be worth the effort.

IMG_9484ga.jpgIMG_9488d.JPGIMG_9486fs.jpgIMG_9489ad.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love this. What a trunk. I always have my eye out for a nice grape trunk but they don’t seem to pop up very often. Nice!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I love this. What a trunk. I always have my eye out for a nice grape trunk but they don’t seem to pop up very often. Nice!

Yeah I was totally not going to buy anything major this year unless something specific came up but then this appeared and at the right price I just couldn't resist it.

we call them Pounders out here

Whatever they're called they don't seem to hang around for too long. 🍻

Top Bottom