Volcanosai?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Please don’t judge too harshly, ’tis only a bit of fun really.

A few months ago I was out on a walk and tripped on a piece of concrete on the side of a narrow footpath. Obviously, being the Good Samaritan I am and always thinking of my fellow man (or woman), I picked up said concrete with the intention of dumping it over the fence into piece of waste ground and out of harms way. Upon retrieval, however, I discovered what was once the foundation support of an old fence post that had long rotted away. ”Hark! A bonsai pot”, I cried, so home it came.

As I wondered what would look good in such an odd shaped pot I realised how much it looked like a volcanic island so of I went in search of some blazing stems. I found a little Cornus Sanguinea ‘Midwinter Fire’ for half price in my local garden centre and there I had my lava.

Today, I screwed a piece of galvanised mesh wrapped in plasterboard/drywall tape to the bottom of the hole in the concrete, potted her up, added some moss and my volcanosai was born. 🌋

FEBD83F7-81C1-401A-A628-3612A6D3267F.jpeg
B05CC09E-46F9-426C-8730-5F6438ABEC3B.jpeg
7E244A5C-8042-4226-B23E-305792B1D1F8.jpeg
F1F403CF-2062-46BF-A051-E3F6F6403BF9.jpeg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like it but if it was mine i would take a chisel and hammer and create some chips so its not so round looking, basically make it more natural.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Believe it or not, last year I found a very similar one in our neighborhood creek. I lugged it home, but haven't planted it yet. If something in my collection looks good in it, I'll post photos. I am thinking of a semi-cascade.

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a great find. For doing your part on keeping your community clean, you got paid by getting a one of a kind bonsai pot.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I like it but if it was mine i would take a chisel and hammer and create some chips so its not so round looking, basically make it more natural.
To be honest, I didn't think of that, but there a couple more half buried so I might lug one out and see what’s what and have a tinker I quite like the look of this one because it’s aged and weathered quite nice and uniformly. I know what you mean though.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Believe it or not, last year I found a very similar one in our neighborhood creek. I lugged it home, but haven't planted it yet. If something in my collection looks good in it, I'll post photos. I am thinking of a semi-cascade.
I was thinking a similar thing actually because as I said above, there are more. This one has lava shooting out the top, maybe another could a pyroclastic flow running down the side and then maybe even trying to work out a root over volcano type arrangement, without overdoing the gimmick.

I’d be very interested to see what you come up with, they have such an interesting shape and I bet a semi cascade would look lovely over spilling the rim.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
That's a great find. For doing your part on keeping your community clean, you got paid by getting a one of a kind bonsai pot.
Thanks! I always enjoy finding ”rubbish” to try and make use of down the line. Usually it ends up in storage or on my pile of useful junk, but to get this one used as a pot straight away is quite nice. I’m looking forward to seeing how the image changes over the seasons as the leaves emerge then turn fiery in autumn.

Top Bottom