Voluntary Fund-Raising

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's that time of year again when I write big checks for hosting and software. BonsaiNut is a free site and access will remain free. If you feel like contributing to the cause, you can hit the "support us" button on the Home Page of the site.

Several of you donated at the end of 2016, and it was greatly appreciated! You are not forgotten!

Also... support our advertisers if you see a product ad that interests you!

Last edited:

Random User

Reaction score
I've been getting a flood of current and relevant click ads, since I brought it up a couple days ago... I've been clicking through looking at things that I really want to see, not just random stuff that doesn't interest me... hope it's helping.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Several of you donated at the end of 2016, and it was greatly appreciated! You are not forgotten!

I sent another donation via PayPal on January 3rd, they said it went through but I did not get an acknowledgement from you as in the past. If I remember correct you were doing changes and beefing up security so I just figured you were busy.

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I sent another donation via PayPal on January 3rd, they said it went through but I did not get an acknowledgement from you as in the past. If I remember correct you were doing changes and beefing up security so I just figured you were busy.

Grimmy

Thank you for letting me know! I'll have to go back through my emails and check that I sent out an acknowledgement to everyone who donated around the New Year.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been getting a flood of current and relevant click ads, since I brought it up a couple days ago... I've been clicking through looking at things that I really want to see, not just random stuff that doesn't interest me... hope it's helping.

It always helps. Advertisers pay a lot of money to reach a relevant audience, so if you see a good ad, and click on it, you make money for the site AND you make the advertiser happy, so it's a win/win.

Random User

Reaction score
I think what made the difference for me, was to open one page to Bnut, then open other "tabs" for searching the sites that I was looking for information on... Toyota, Honda, Apple, Canada Goose, Bombardier (BRP), etc, etc... it seems that the program picks off information from linked pages... so if a user wanted to change the ads they are seeing, this might help to do that... and if you happened to do a search for "school uniforms" or Barbie, I'm pretty sure we can all guess what would come up...

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In the case of Google, the algorithm they use is pretty complicated (and proprietary) but it is based on a combination of site content, available ad inventory and Internet search and browsing history. For example if you were doing an Internet search for kitchen pots, and there just happened to be a kitchen pot retailer who was buying ad space on Google AdSense, and no one buying bonsai supplies ads, you might see a kitchen pot ad. But it is not always so clear-cut. For example you might see an Amazon ad listing kitchen accessories, or an ad for a retailer who sells related products.

I can no longer 'request' certain ad categories, but I can block them if I don't want them. I think we are seeing a good mix of ads now, but if I see any annoying ads I can go in and block the advertiser. Google has done a good job in my opinion of screening out the bad ads and bad advertisers.

Also understand it is a two-way street. Advertisers don't want their ads showing up on bad web sites. One of the reasons why I upgraded the site security is that it demonstrates to Google that we are willing to meet a certain security standard to protect our site content. This in turn indicates that we are a more 'professional' web site than those sites out there who don't upgrade their software, or maintain their technology platform.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been clicking through looking at things that I really want to see

I agree. I can't click on any ads because it is against our agreement with Google. However there have been a number of times recently when I saw some really interesting ads, so I go outside the site and track them down to see what they have to offer. The advertisers get a "free visitor" when I do :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's that time of year again when I write big checks for hosting and software. BonsaiNut is a free site and access will remain free. If you feel like contributing to the cause, you can hit the "support us" button on the front page, or...

Just Follow this Link

Also... support our advertisers if you see a product ad that interests you!
Your session is invalid or expired.

You've been inactive for a while, so we logged you out to help protect your account. Please return to the merchant and restart the payment process.
Return to PayPal

I keep re-logging in to paypal but when i hit the link it keeps telling me my sessions expired. Strange since i just logged in (again). Any suggestions? Operator error is not out of the question...

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Your session is invalid or expired.

Try to use PayPal with another account like Amazon (using the same device and same browser). You don't have to make a payment, just go to the PayPal screen and see if it stays open. Let me know if PayPal works with another site.

It may also be a problem with your bonsainut session cookies. They can be either blocked, or deleted.

If your cookies are being blocked, check in your browser privacy settings that you are accepting cookies. If you are not, check the option to always accept session cookies, hit apply, and then close all open browser windows and then reopen a new browser window and try again.

Are you using a third-party firewall like EZ Firewall, Zone Alarm, Personal Firewall or BlackIce Defender? Sometimes firewalls will delete a session cookie the moment it is created. If the first fix doesn't work, and you are using a firewall, trying turning off the firewall and attempt the transaction again.

I know the button works for some people... if you are still having trouble send me a PM with what type of hardware you are using and what browser and I will try to track it down.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Try to use PayPal with another account like Amazon (using the same device and same browser). You don't have to make a payment, just go to the PayPal screen and see if it stays open. Let me know if PayPal works with another site.

It may also be a problem with your bonsainut session cookies. They can be either blocked, or deleted.

If your cookies are being blocked, check in your browser privacy settings that you are accepting cookies. If you are not, check the option to always accept session cookies, hit apply, and then close all open browser windows and then reopen a new browser window and try again.

Are you using a third-party firewall like EZ Firewall, Zone Alarm, Personal Firewall or BlackIce Defender? Sometimes firewalls will delete a session cookie the moment it is created. If the first fix doesn't work, and you are using a firewall, trying turning off the firewall and attempt the transaction again.

I know the button works for some people... if you are still having trouble send me a PM with what type of hardware you are using and what browser and I will try to track it down.
Thanks. I'll try tonight with a different device.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I dont mind donating to help keep this site going as its a great site full of usefull info and great people. But i have no idea on how much to donate i mean im sure any amount is usefull but how much on average do people donate as too not look silly giving too little or too much.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I dont mind donating to help keep this site going as its a great site full of usefull info and great people. But i have no idea on how much to donate i mean im sure any amount is usefull but how much on average do people donate as too not look silly giving too little or too much.

Anything would be appreciated, and nothing would look silly. Some people have given $10. Some have given $50. It all helps. $1 would help.

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
the "support our site" link is not responding on my mac

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
the "support our site" link is not responding on my mac

Are you getting any error message? Can you click on the link in my post (above) and see if you get the same result? Is it just a "dead" button that does nothing?

I am using code directly from PayPal that is supposed to be pre-approved for all platforms. However as we know in technology, nothing is ever "perfect". Let me poke around and see if other people using PayPal buttons are having the same problem.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Turned off my ad blocker and clicking ad links :)

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just make it a habit, find at least one or more interesting ads each time you visit and CLICK on them! It will add up. PLEASE!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I actually see good, relevant ads on here most of the time.

Oddly, this page currently has a random termite control ad (which I've never searched for). I was looking for a refractometer and because of that I see ads for them daily lol. But for the most part they're relevant.

Top Bottom