Volunteer Maples....what you got?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My Sharp's pygmy maple had a ton of seeds last year. I always heard that the cultivar was sterile, but I have had a few seedlings sprout below it. I collected about 50 samaras last fall and stored them over winter. I soaked them this spring and got about 2 dozen sinkers. Planted those, and exactly 1 sprouted. It will be interesting to see how much of the pygmy's traits it carries.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Makawa yatsabusha is in full seed this year. I will be starting as many as I can, should be interesting IMG_20180604_111903985.jpg
I have about two dozen Japanese Maples from various trees around town here. I started with a couple hundred seedlings and first selected for colors. Then I selected for leaf size, internodes and stem length. Some I have kept for extraordinary color in spite of long stems and internodes.
IMG_20180614_060729156.jpg
This one I call Seedling Surprise, it grows like that. I haven't trimmed it yet. It is the only one in a whole bunch of collected seedlings that came off like this.
152898314900232901159.jpg
Some that hold good color into summer and great fall colors.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think mine is a seed from a Bloodgood...most likely anyway...those things are like mail boxes in this state...every damn house has one.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My Sharp's pygmy maple had a ton of seeds last year. I always heard that the cultivar was sterile, but I have had a few seedlings sprout below it. I collected about 50 samaras last fall and stored them over winter. I soaked them this spring and got about 2 dozen sinkers. Planted those, and exactly 1 sprouted. It will be interesting to see how much of the pygmy's traits it carries.

When do you collect the samaras?
I have a couple trees that I want to get their offsprings. I'm curious on how different they might be from the mother tree. There seem to be a lot of different maples around my neighborhood

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1529009321111-378059730.jpg
1529009387054-59689118.jpg

I have a few, probably going to pot them all up in larger containers pretty soon. I've had these for two years and they came come from different jobs (other people's yards).

I wired them last year and let them bite in pretty hard but most of them still managed to bounce back to their original shape... So I'll be rewiring probably in a week or two.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When do you collect the samaras?
I have a couple trees that I want to get their offsprings. I'm curious on how different they might be from the mother tree. There seem to be a lot of different maples around my neighborhood
I honestly couldn't tell you. I just watched them and waited until they started to fall naturally.

jd_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My Makawa yatsabusha is in full seed this year. I will be starting as many as I can, should be interesting View attachment 196757
I have about two dozen Japanese Maples from various trees around town here. I started with a couple hundred seedlings and first selected for colors. Then I selected for leaf size, internodes and stem length. Some I have kept for extraordinary color in spite of long stems and internodes.
View attachment 196758
This one I call Seedling Surprise, it grows like that. I haven't trimmed it yet. It is the only one in a whole bunch of collected seedlings that came off like this.
View attachment 196759
Some that hold good color into summer and great fall colors.
I’ve got a Mikawa Yatsubusa that is full of seeds this year as well, when do you plan on collecting those mikawa seeds? Fall?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not quite certain what a Volunteer Maple is...this is one many have seen. Once a landscape tree. (Husband's favorite in the yard.) Arctic winter out of no where hit and a tree with many years in the ground suffered significant die back. No branches on the lower trunk. But was budding less than a foot from the ground showing it wasn't fully dead.) Planted as a slant to allow to weep down over the side easier.
Moved into the shade with heat advisories today.
Weeping Ryusen Maple was definitely not planned...but it's fun...and fall colors a dream.
20180618_105321.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I keep telling myself I'm going to do something with all of the rubrum seedlings but haven't yet, just like I was going to do a forest planting with these sweetgum volunteers that are now over 6 feet tall...:rolleyes:o_O
1529366164749-1352880269.jpg

Top Bottom