Volunteer of unknown variety

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So in my front garden I have a volunteer, that appears to be a mapel, but I don't know which kind.

My plant ID says Sugar Mapel. But I'd appreciate a more practiced eye. As well as thoughts about if I should pull it as a weed, or dig it up and put it in a pot.
PXL_20220930_154407796.jpgPXL_20220930_154358763.MP.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Possibly Acer Pseudoplatanus (I don’t know where you are but it’s what we in the uk call a Sycamore) - I’m no expert and just guessing on leaf size/shape.

They don’t typically make good bonsai due to the long petioles and limited leaf reduction, however, if you’re just starting out then it’s great to hone your horticultural skills. Anything can be a bonsai - especially if you get into Penjing and literati style stuff!

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Definitely an Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) and your probably going to have to go big. From what I heard the leaves reduce, but not incredibly. I have a 'Sweet Shadow' that is in the growing out stage like almost all my trees. Anyways keep it in the ground at least until spring and cut the tap root in spring. Then plant back in the ground if you can or second option a large training box. With maples you want to grow and chop and a Sugar Maple you'll want to take your time. Fall colors are hard to beat! I say it's definitely worth a go especially if you have the room. They grow fast, but that will equalize by the larger size it will need to be. I plan the ultimate size for mine to be at least 3' maybe bigger. I am years from the first chop though.

Last edited:

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't forget that acer macrophyllum is native here, grows all over the city and county, and routinely pops up in gardens.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Don't forget that acer macrophyllum is native here, grows all over the city and county, and routinely pops up in gardens.
I don't think the indents between the lobes are deep enough to be a big leaf.

But not a bad bet because we definitely have them in the park nearby.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My first bet was Big Leaf too, yet there are so many maple morphs around that it could be a ‘poi puppy’.

In any event, not a prospective bonsai candidate. I tried my hand at bigger maples, using Autumn Blaze maples, (which are Red Maple x Sugar maple)both in a forest and as a single, just for practice.

In a 4 year old forest composition the leaves have reduced to a third, with multiple pruning, by the end of the season.

215AFF59-0969-462E-8E5E-510D07AFBB2C.jpeg

The singles are very much harder to reduce.

That’s a long way to saying, I’d trash it. You would be better off getting some Vine Maple volunteers.

Cheers
DSD sends

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It does not look Saccharum to me.

Big leaf, was ALSO, MY first thought.

@Deep Sea Diver , I've been working with a TON of Freemani... Freemani selects, actually ... I have 'lings' from NATURALLY occurring crosses, as well as FROM Freemani seed.

I've learned a ton about their particular growth habits and traits, but have been having technical difficulties with my phone for MOST of this season.

Today or tomorrow I shall be filming a video, 'catching up' my Freemani work, for the Freemani Species Study thread. I will "call" you that direction, when It is done.

I'd appreciate YOUR input, there, as well.

(Wow, what a grammatical excess of "Freemani"! 🤣🤣)

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That is one major difference and a simple test. I now switch my vote to Norway maple. Another one people try infrequently. But, if you have room for bigger bonsai or would like something to practice with...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm ALL for Platenoides experimentation!!

You can (if the specimen is reading semi-ideal RNA) reduce EVERYTHING down EXCEPT petiole length.

So as @Ininaatigoons said, if you're aiming a tad bigger, like at least 18"-20", it's fun to try Platenoides.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'll probably pull it. I am looking to add a mapel to my collection, but I think I'll start with some nursery stock and save a decade and some frustration.

I'm still relatively new to this.

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Platanouides (or some cultivars) could have interesting potential with their good ramification and very cool spring flowers, but the big leaves are tricky. Still, I see a number of them around that have a "big bonsai" look. Certainly there's no shortage of seedlings available!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
With native or endemic maples (in the US).. it's helpful to go through at least half of the breeding process... plant a BOATLOAD of seeds, and select down for leaf-size, internode length and unique characteristics..

This is because MOST Platenoides have huge leaves. These DO reduce reasonably, but having smaller leaves/ shorter internodes to START with, is SO MUCH BETTER. If you plant hundreds .. you'll walk away with at LEAST 10, realistic-RNA-reading specimens... Then take cuttings.

The same with Rubrums and internode length.. you plant HUNDREDS....but only a handful end up "selected for bonsai use"
While ALL Rubrums DO reduce, starting with more proper characteristics greatly improves your possible "return".

This is HOW "tree growers" operate for specific, desired traits.

🤓

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll probably pull it. I am looking to add a mapel to my collection, but I think I'll start with some nursery stock and save a decade and some frustration.

I'm still relatively new to this.

You can't save decades, only use them wisely.

New is the time to begin the decade.

Sorce

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You can always use free material for practice. I am still a little skittish about root pruning. Leaving wire on too long. Well every aspect actually. It's a lot easier on my lesser favorites.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The group in the background are all definitely a. platenoides. The leaf I am holding is a. psedoplatinus (sycamore maple). At the time I took this photo I mistakenly thought it was the source of green maples (yellow fall color) in the group, but that is not the case. All the maples in the group bleed a milky sap from cut petioles = definitive characteristic of a. platenoides.

norwayGrp_Fall_Green_2014-10-29.jpg

Top Bottom