Volunteering at the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection...

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
:D I'm thinking you have some Irish in you( as in Luck of..), nice work when you can get it.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
It was a pleasure to spend time with Vic and glad to see she passed her test with flying colors and will be on our list of tried and true volunteers. her personality is wonderful to work with and indeed she is a very talented artisan. I've found over the years of volunteering there, that the high quality of the trees you work on really helps to get you fired up to the challenge.:)

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good job, Vic. I love that treasure of a collection.

Now, when can we get started, working on my backyard nursery?
There are hundreds of trees to work on, and I am way behind schedule......

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lol Dick... you know I picked the hairiest monster because in my mind I had something to prove. David knows me in passing, without being really familiar with my work... so I was wanting to get into something that would show him I could hold my own, and be teachable all at the same time. :)

You and I are cut from the same cloth... you and the trees made the time just fly by. :) Thank you brother for all your support and great kindness! :)

Vic

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lol Attila...

You should see our back yard... lol I should have been working there. o_O

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know. There is something special aboout working on these masterpieces at the collection. Must be a truly rewarding experience. When working on these trees, one can gain a very intimate knowledge of every detail. And you have the chance to talk about bonsai all day, which is really cool.

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Guess that will depend on your definition of near.;)

Really no, aside from the 3 nurseries near you (NEBGS, Bonsai West, and Suthins place Royal gardens, then it's off to Brookline Botanical, Valvanis' International arboretum, DC., Montreal has a botanical garden. Then again private nurseries, and gardens, but those you need to know them .

I am assuming you have been to the Arnold collection, nice place to visit for sure.Another has, no bonsai unless you catch the show that is done by a bunch of clubs at Towerhill, but it's a nice collection of trees in the outdoors.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Guess that will depend on your definition of near.;)

Really no, aside from the 3 nurseries near you (NEBGS, Bonsai West, and Suthins place Royal gardens, then it's off to Brookline Botanical, Valvanis' International arboretum, DC., Montreal has a botanical garden. Then again private nurseries, and gardens, but those you need to know them .

I am assuming you have been to the Arnold collection, nice place to visit for sure.Another has, no bonsai unless you catch the show that is done by a bunch of clubs at Towerhill, but it's a nice collection of trees in the outdoors.
Thanks for the low down Bill. I actually haven't bend to the Arnold arboretum yet but plan to do so soon. I still have yet to go to a shoe too but will probably just go down to NEBG for their end of summer or fall gathering.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I do the MABS get together, since 09 now, lot goes in but it is worth it.

If I had one of the 3 nurseries above actually close (about an hour and a half), I would probably be a regular at one of those, as usual helping out where I can. Veep for our club too.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do the MABS get together, since 09 now, lot goes in but it is worth it.

If I had one of the 3 nurseries above actually close (about an hour and a half), I would probably be a regular at one of those, as usual helping out where I can. Veep for our club too.

I peep in every now in then at NEBG, since I'm only 20 mins away. To the point Hitoshi would joke "oh, you again!". Is there a club near there too? After Kaikou is over I'll probably look into joining a club.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am working on it believe it or not. Thanks this topic reinforces it for me.

Truth to tell Tom... offer to pull weeds. Be willing to start humbly. If you are darn lucky you won't have to...lol But the willingness to do something menial and follow through, that's the proof in the pudding so to speak. I've pulled my fair share of weeds, and pruned landscape trees... and watered, and the list goes on.... Getting to work on something glorious is only part of the deal. At least in the beginning. :)

Heck, get to know Rob (october) who could help provide an introduction for you... he's in like Flynn over at NEBG. :)

V

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The only bummer in the ointment is that the volunteer days are when Eric is working... :( So he doesn't get to come with me right now...

lol gotta pay for those trees somehow .... :p <3 corporate america

so no one gets the wrong idea.... my wife manages to work.... do this (volunteer) .... take care of me (I'm basically a teenager that looks like a grown up) and cook dinner ...... how she finds the time and energy i have no idea ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
See.... THAT is why he gets anything he wants....lol Thank you for the kudos Asaguahu...lol :) <3

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Tom, the ones I know of are on the Cape, , John Romano is part of one in RI, not sure where, or how close that one is, Hartford, New Haven, and Springfield is where I am.

Victrinia mentioned October, Rob does a lot of the wed. night open benches at NEBS, that could be the best opportunity for you, that and find Rob, seems to be a good guy, and is pretty talented when it come to torturing little trees.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tom, the ones I know of are on the Cape, , John Romano is part of one in RI, not sure where, or how close that one is, Hartford, New Haven, and Springfield is where I am.

Victrinia mentioned October, Rob does a lot of the wed. night open benches at NEBS, that could be the best opportunity for you, that and find Rob, seems to be a good guy, and is pretty talented when it come to torturing little trees.

You know that RI is probably closest. For now I'll just take the classes and see where it takes me.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Truth to tell Tom... offer to pull weeds. Be willing to start humbly. If you are darn lucky you won't have to...lol But the willingness to do something menial and follow through, that's the proof in the pudding so to speak. I've pulled my fair share of weeds, and pruned landscape trees... and watered, and the list goes on.... Getting to work on something glorious is only part of the deal. At least in the beginning. :)

Heck, get to know Rob (october) who could help provide an introduction for you... he's in like Flynn over at NEBG. :)

V

Thanks to persistance, as well as reading through this thread originally it worked! I am going to be the new weed-pulling floor-sweeping volunteer! Thanks for your responses.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congratulations Tom! :)

Top Bottom