Volunteering at the Smith Gilbert Gardens

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
We squeezed in a second session this month due to the early spring and all the trees needing repotting. Here are a few of the trees we got to, including a nice maple, hornbeam, redwood, jwp, and shimpaku juniper. There were others but we hardly had time for pictures.
IMG_2111.JPG IMG_2114.JPG IMG_2115.JPG IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2117.JPG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is that giant twin trunk in the second set of pics? Hackberry? Looks like you had a great time!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is that giant twin trunk in the second set of pics? Hackberry? Looks like you had a great time!
The tree in the first picture is a very old Chinese elm, and a huge trident christened "The Southern Waitress" by Kathy Shaner, is in the second picture. And yes, we had fun. I probably laugh more during my 6-7 hour stint there every other month then I do for the following week after. I primarily work on my trees solo, but it's fun getting together with other like minded people to hack on other people's trees.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I spent another great day at the garden today. Lots of new trees were added to the collection, and most of the new ones are bursting with new growth. I didn't arrive at the garden until after lunch due to my son's lacrosse game (a loss:(). When I got there, Rodney took me over to where this juniper was sitting on the shelf and told me to do something with it or it might need to get culled (auctioned off to make room for the better trees). The first pictures show the tree before working on it. It's typical of lots of the older material in the garden: nice trunks but too many straight branches that need wiring or foliage only out on the ends. After an hour or two of pruning and wiring, this is what we had. I worked on it for another hour tweaking the wiring and thinning out the pads more completely. Rodney told me later that it was definitely making the cut now:).
I don't get out to this garden as often as I like, but when I do, it's always a great time. The group worked on many trees today, mainly junipers, with lot's of thinning and wiring. This tree, which I initially styled 3 years ago, got thinned again in preparation for more wire next month.
IMG_2663.JPG

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_2649.JPG IMG_2648.JPG IMG_2654.JPG IMG_2662.JPG I spent most of the day working a very old bunjin juniper new to the collection. It's got a fantastic deadwood trunk with wonderful movement and several live veins that twist up the trunk. The bark and deadwood were cleaned and the horribly overgrown canopy had about 70% of it's foliage removed. The main branches and many of the secondary branches were wired and placed in position. More branches and foliage will be removed in the future but the plan for now is to let it bud back in the interior first and prune back to tighten things up.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_2735.JPG IMG_2736.JPG IMG_2737.JPG Another beautiful day spent working on the garden trees. I did some thinning and fine wiring on the juniper from the last installment... no pics this time but looking good and growing well. Unfortunately, much of the afternoon was spent preparing the collection for Irma, who's due to get up here Monday. Smaller, lighter trees went on the ground. The heavier trees stayed on the bench but were tied down. I'll be spending much of tomorrow doing the same in my yard. Fingers crossed...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
nice trees. Hopefully everything remains unscathed. Thinking about all you folks and your bonsai down that way. Stay safe!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The 2018 re-potting season kicked off today. Unfortunately, most of the trees were frozen, so we only worked a few. This is an old multi trucked water elm, along with a nice hawthorn.
78DAC04A-82F1-4D04-8E8B-289D840D4217.jpeg CE17AF8E-EDE1-4F3A-ABCB-B4F323E5C9DD.jpeg 7C5C4DE7-1749-452D-8004-EF8869A2EAFD.jpeg 35450EB1-F772-410F-A7F7-C0A273667FE4.jpeg B67F0654-4477-449C-97DF-31BE23D7600C.jpeg 8C125FCD-6876-442B-933C-277004E6C8DA.jpeg C3E8B50F-80E5-43AA-B91C-930C50ED7001.jpeg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This place really is full of amazing trees, you are lucky dude to get to work on these!
Yes, the quality of the trees has improved dramatically in recent years. The water elm and hawthorn re-potted yesterday were both from Gary Marchal's personal collection and are really special trees. Still, hanging out with Rodney Clemons and the rest of the bonsai study group at the Gardens is why I really go... so much fun!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow repotting already!
That is a very nice hawthorn. Like the elm too, but would like to see it in a different pot. Is that a mica pot? I could see this in a nice big neutral glazed.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow repotting already!
That is a very nice hawthorn. Like the elm too, but would like to see it in a different pot. Is that a mica pot? I could see this in a nice big neutral glazed.
Yeah, we'd like to see it in a different pot, too. We scoured the storage room looking for an oval that would fit it, but the only one large enough, a nice old unglazed brown oval, was cracked. So, it went back into the mica rectangle, which fits the tree well. You can bet Rodney will be on the look out for a better pot to have handy at the next re-pot... donations are welcome!

I should add that we start re-potting now because 1) we have a heated greenhouse to house these re-potted trees until spring weather arrives, and 2) there's anywhere from 70-80 trees in the collection now and meeting only once a month means we've got to get all the trees that need to be re-potted done by March... that's only 3 days to re-pot! We would have done more yesterday, but unfortunately, all of the cold hardy trees were outside overnight and were fairly frozen through. The February meeting will be busy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom