Vouiu Bonsai Tools

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just received a set of stainless tools for Christmas by a company called Vouiu. Does anyone have any experience with these? I guess they are from Amazon but I've never heard their name. They feel solid and the blades look well enough made (proper overlapping, no gaps).

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Rhymes with hooey?

Pics or they're plastic!

Sorce
I had a feeling someone might ask. I can take a picture later. I've never heard of this brand, I am not sure how to pronounce it lol.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This day and age I swear to God someone would find a stamp that says "Vouiu" and stamp anything and sell it on Amazon.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Trademark owner info:

Chinese company "zhangjiagang yinhong maoyi youxian gongsi".
International Business Class 08: Hand tools and implements (hand-operated); cutlery; side arms; razors. - Hand tools and implements (hand-operated); cutlery; side arms; razors
First use: 2016, registered 2018

Business description: hand-operated hand tools, namely, cutting tools and riveting tools; Hand tools, namely, fruit pickers; hand operated garden tools, namely, spades, hoes, trowels, and weeding forks; bow saws, spanners, hand-operated tools, namely, chisels; hand tools, namely, screwdrivers; pliers; files; tweezers; scissors; hunting knives; secateurs; daggers; hand tools, namely, punches

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm impressed with the tools they selected for their set. The pliers and the blunt-nosed wire cutters are usually not seen/included in a beginner tool set, and yet I use them all the time (at least for wiring tasks).

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm impressed with the tools they selected for their set. The pliers and the blunt-nosed wire cutters are usually not seen/included in a beginner tool set, and yet I use them all the time (at least for wiring tasks).
I have no idea what 'level' this set is considered. It was a gift and so for some odd reason I have been reluctant to look it up on Amazon myself. But it's pretty darn complete as far as cutting tools go. They definitely feel solid. I wouldn't have picked stainless but I'm interested to see how they do.

It's actually kind of funny. We were in the car this weekend and my wife goes "I felt like the big one was important, so I got the set with that in it. One set didn't have it and the other one did. I don't know what it does but it seemed important" She was referring to the trunk splitter🤣.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a nice set. How tight are the hinges? Is there wobble or do they stay tight throughout opening and closing?

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Looks light years better than the amazon starter set my wife bought me a few years ago. The branch cutter and wire cutter was useless. Root cutter was just poor. Oddly enough the knob cutter worked ok and I actually still use it occasionally.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like a nice set. How tight are the hinges? Is there wobble or do they stay tight throughout opening and closing?
Very tight. If anything I may add a drop of lube. They're somewhat stiff.

Mr. Square

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My wife bought me the same set. My first... I know nothing about bonsai tools, but I'm no stranger to tools in general and hand tools specifically.

To me they seem decent; better than I would have expected. The real test for me is to see how well they hold an edge and how well they sharpen.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just before I got lucky and found a bunch of nicer Japanese tools, I bought this same set. The concave cutters feel sharp, but they don't really slice through wood like my garage sale tools. They kinda compress and "squish" the branch. Also, just a couple nights ago I used the shears to cut a small woody twig on my elm and they are now completely misaligned. Its seems the shaft of one of the handles bent, but I was definitely not pushing the tool to any extremes....

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Palmer

Seed
Reaction score
Me too. I bought some individual pieces, not set.
The tools look very good, they feel robust and have a bright steel finish,...but the edges are not sharp enough.

The concave cutters feel sharp, but they don't really slice through wood like my garage sale tools. They kinda compress and "squish" the branch

As # Atom # 28 says the concave cutter do not cut the wood, compress the branch. There is no clean cut, which helps close the wound.
I'm sorry, but they work like the Amazon Starter Set. Poorly

To get better cuts, I used a tungsten sharpener.

I bought my old Tian Bonsai for a few dollars more and there is a huge difference. Also cheap and in stainless steel. But they cut like a barber's blade 💈 .

David wv

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Me too. I bought some individual pieces, not set.
The tools look very good, they feel robust and have a bright steel finish,...but the edges are not sharp enough.

As # Atom # 28 says the concave cutter do not cut the wood, compress the branch. There is no clean cut, which helps close the wound.
I'm sorry, but they work like the Amazon Starter Set. Poorly

To get better cuts, I used a tungsten sharpener.

I bought my old Tian Bonsai for a few dollars more and there is a huge difference. Also cheap and in stainless steel. But they cut like a barber's blade 💈 .
I know I am off topic a little bit but I really think about getting some Tian tools and was wondering how you are liking yours and what grade did you get?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where were these purchased? On Amazon? I know there's a set that look identical to this one on there. How are they holding up?

Top Bottom