Wacky Bald Cypress Progression

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I picked this tree up in spring 2017 from a friend. Basically a juvenile garden center bald cypress. Rode home on the passenger floorboard in my Prius. It was only about 4 feet tall with 1.5" diameter trunk at the base.

I transplanted it into a 25 gallon container and watered and fed the heck out of it. It responded with explosive growth and increased itself tremendously.

Summer 2017:

BC July 2017.JPG

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I let it grow unchecked all of 2018.

By the end of the year it stood about 14 feet tall and had a 4 inch base that was starting to buttress a bit.

I didn't know what I was going to do with the tree, but I did know that it was harder and harder to get into the garage for over-wintering.

The plan the whole time was to select a new leader and then establish taper, but the guy who gave me the tree in 2017 directed my attention to a Cypress created by David De Groot:

Dave De Groot Cypress 9-97.jpg

So it was decided... straight cut across the top, bend an existing branch radically upwards to create a new leader, carve and distress the trunk.

Last edited:

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In the spring of 2019, I re-potted into a large Yakaami rectangle.

I should have been more aggressive with the roots, but I'll take care of that in spring 2021.

A photo of it with new leader and going into new pot:

BC April 2019.JPG

And then a few days later back out on the bench:

BC April 22 2019.JPG

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here it is June 2020:

BC June 2020.JPG

I realize nothing of interest is visible. It clearly needs wiring and substantial editing.

But here you can see some of the initial carving. This was done last fall under the supervision of Jennifer Price when she visited us in Eastern Iowa:

BC Carving 2020.JPG

And here are some shots of the stubs that are being developed into more ramified, tapering branches:

BC Branches 1 2020.JPG

BC branches 2 2020.JPG

And a shot of the base:

BC Base 2020.JPG

Might spend some time this afternoon further editing and wiring this thing out.

In time it might be interesting, but certainly nothing as nice as the de Groot Cypress.

Noah

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Back out into the sunny side of the garden for now:

South west corner.JPG

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Got some wire on it today. Edited a few suckering branches from trunk, and left a few in case lower branches might be in order.

Will just let it grow out again this summer, letting branches elongate and thicken until they are cut back this fall. Rinse, repeat, until taper in the branching becomes established. At least, that's the plan

Wiring 1 June 2020.JPG

Wiring 2 June 2020.JPG

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any updates on this one?

I have a Dawn Redwood (that was sold to me as a BC), which is styled incredibly similarly

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ugh. No. I sold it last October. I always swim around in regret for a bit after selling trees... but I had a chance to acquire a couple of really nice RMJ, so I elected to make the necessary room by parting with this big thing.

It still lives locally, though. I'll check with the new owner to see what's transpired, if anything.

Top Bottom