Waiting...

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your weat her isn't entirely a curse. I've been doing the 2 step for a month now, since we had near 80 degree days the first week of February. We had what looks to be our last freeze this past week. Some trees are exhibiting weak growth from leafing out early then being in the garage so long. Also, the quince flowering was shorter than usual.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
70 degrees at 8PM tonight and my elms are pishing buds and a few leaves. A few little green buds on my bald cypress, and they’re swelling on my hawthorns, plus I just received a dozen bald cypress seedlings today. Of course it will be back in the 20’s a couple nights next week so I’m practicing my two step.
Hey cofga where did you get your bald cypress seedlings?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey cofga where did you get your bald cypress seedlings?
SunbrightFarms.com . They were very good about contacting me before shipping and holding them until the freezing weather passed. The trees are bigger than I expected, about 2’ tall with the tops trimmed to the same height. The roots are about 6-8” long so I will only need to remove a little bit of the tap root. Just where does the tap root start on a 8” root? Stems about the size of a fat pencil. I plan to put each into a 1 gal pot today with a 1:1 mix of potting soil and sand. These will stay that way unil next year when the will go into a forest planting. I also plan to keep them submersered over the summer to encourage diameter growth per Mellow Mullets website (www.heartofdixie.com). At any rate I highly recommend Sunbright.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks I appreciate the information. Good luck with your set up sounds like you have a good plan. Thanks again.

Top Bottom