wakaebisu satsuki

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Quick question for my fellow nuts. Just purchased this nice little imported azalea from Brussel's. (Bringing out the better trees pre-rendezvous) And........it's in their God awful dirt soil they somehow manage to keep trees alive in. Too late to repot in some good kanuma?
This is my first azalea, have 25 or so quinces and took the plunge on a newbie.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150429_195245.jpg
    20150429_195245.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20150429_195307.jpg
    20150429_195307.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 34

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Quick question for my fellow nuts. Just purchased this nice little imported azalea from Brussel's. (Bringing out the better trees pre-rendezvous) And........it's in their God awful dirt soil they somehow manage to keep trees alive in. Too late to repot in some good kanuma?
This is my first azalea, have 25 or so quinces and took the plunge on a newbie.
Thanks!

I bought one of these as well. Mine's actually in a heavy peat moss mixture and not their standard soil. I was told they were repotted within the last year so I'm leaving mine alone for a few years. I had the same inclination though when I got mine to put it in some kanuma. I'm not even sure satsuki will thrive in our summer heat so I was hesitant to mess with it this season.

There was also discrepancy on when to repot these. Most (including Brussels) say the spring before flowering and some say after flowering which would be late May/June. Another reason I held off as I got mine after early spring.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
They will be fine in the heat, as long as you keep them watered. They like an organic, rich, moist, acidic soil- like Peat- so they are probably fine in the mix they are in. Kanuma is the "trendy"/ cool Japanese soil to use that pros recommend, but not a requirement.

Hope your trees are happy and healthy! You can repot them most any time of the growing season- before or after flowering, but if they were just repotted this year, I wouldn't touch the roots for at least another year or two.

Top Bottom