Waking up

Relknes

Sapling
Reaction score
I got to wondering today, about how many hours above a certain temperature (45F, 50F, 60F?) do most temperate trees have to experience before starting to come out of dormancy, after enough chill hours have passed? I am sure it is different for every species, but is there a general rule of thumb? Like for instance with chill hours, generally 500-1,000 chill hours to satisfy requirements for many temperate trees.
I can't speak for varieties from other areas, but a lot of native trees in my area break dormancy when the average daily temperature is over 50 for 7 days, as I recall (so, high of 60, low of 40 or similar). A few species break dormancy by day length, as I understand, but that doesn't seem common in my area.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My trident maple, which will be going inside at night and outside during the day for the next two months, has been inside for 48 hours and was showing the first tiny leaf at hour 36. This after being completely quiescent with not even the slight swelling of any buds when put inside. Tridents move lightning fast when ready.

Warning: don't try this at home!

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Each species has a certain amout degree days before they start to bloom. For instance, silver maple require 42, and red maple requires 44 degree days.

Degree days are accumulated when temperatures reach 50 during the day as a baseline temperature. There's a certain formula for calculating it.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just moved to Iowa from Oklahoma with opening maples... lows in the 20s across Iowa starting tomorrow and persisting for the next ten days.

Not good!

Not sure how to best protect. Attached garage adjacent to house wall? Windows let in some light, but this is a bit of a cluster. Might get on CL and see if anyone has space (and the will) to let me move them to their greenhouse.

Yikes.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_2079.JPG
Just moved to Iowa from Oklahoma with opening maples... lows in the 20s across Iowa starting tomorrow and persisting for the next ten days.

Not good!

Not sure how to best protect. Attached garage adjacent to house wall? Windows let in some light, but this is a bit of a cluster. Might get on CL and see if anyone has space (and the will) to let me move them to their greenhouse.

Yikes.
The bonsai two step!! In the garage at night and outside during the day when it's above freezing...

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is this going to be sufficient to keep theses maples alive (as long as temps in garage are not sub-zero)?

Trident has all buds leafing out. All buds!

Nightmare!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is this going to be sufficient to keep theses maples alive (as long as temps in garage are not sub-zero)?

Trident has all buds leafing out. All buds!

Nightmare!
They need to be in the sun when it's above freezing.... otherwise inside the garage to prevent freeze damage... eazy-peazy.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So many trees in pots are starting to move. amur is up and had his coffee, ready to go. quince leaves just starting to emerge. tridents starting to swell. J. Maple just starting to show me signs. junipers are losing their winter colors. So i've started repots. 60 degrees today, 60 degrees tomorrow. . Gonna be shuffling in and out of the garage for sure as temps are expected to drop down below freezing in two weeks. No big deal.

Bigger issue is i have some trees that are in pots and starting to move that i intended to put into the ground. Probably not such a good idea with temps expected in the mid to upper 20's. damn.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been observing my slightly open Amur and Elm....

20170219_171900.jpg

And they haven't moved a smidgen since I got back from mini vacation Monday.

Been 70 all week.

Colder and raining now.

I am near positive they will remain this way until it is really spring.

Also near positive they are just sending out more sensitive "feelers", seeing as how they don't have a myc connect to ask other trees.

Well....

You can take the "smart tree" thoughts however you wish....

But if I started repotting I would be curn furked.

Moving buds doesn't mean shit.

With projected freezing nights till early April.....

My dancing shoes won't be all worn out for when it is really time repot and ENJOY spring.

Dance dance.....

I'll be doing Nothing!

I think many of us should do nothing.

Sorce

don b

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How cold is too cold for tridents whose buds have open?

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just noticed one of my Tridents planted in the ground has pushed out leaves already. This should be interesting.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just a sampling of some of my trees waking up early. Last frost date around here is April 15th, though I've never had freezing temps in my yard past late March. Mind you, all these trees except the pine had serious root work done and lost the majority of their roots over 10 days ago, so I suspect they'd be even further along if they hadn't. Supposed to fall into the mid 30s Saturday night
IMG_2096.JPG IMG_2103.JPG IMG_2106.JPG IMG_2104.JPG IMG_2105.JPG IMG_2099.JPG

don b

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpeg I was away for two weeks helping with the floods and came back to most of my deciduous' buds bursting and this trident fully awake! Luckily CA weather has been more wet than cold. Temps have only went below 30F a handful of times in my city.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Dav4 WOW you have a lot going on in your neck of the woods. I've a few trees which woke...a quince and Amur maple...the crab is just waking up...and I seen the winged elm having green tips to the tiny swollen buds. But...keeping it in the cold greenhouse for now...until it wakes a bit more. So adding lights in there for next year. So I won't be doing the dance as early.

Landscape is moving here as well. My weeping cherry for one. I was wanting to remove the protection of burlap...but, decided to keep up in case it helps it if we would have temp drops...keep the wind off of it.

That Goji is really something!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ugh....I hate this wacky weather

It's been in the 40s and 50s all week. Hit 60 yesterday. Was 50 at 8am this morning so it will be 60s, 60s tomotrow and 50s next week.

I'm starting repotting tomorrow - a month early. I've got a Chinese elm that's starting to pop. I don't see anything on the tridents yet but I know it's coming and if I don't do the one I know will need it I'll come home one night and find its already leafing out.

I'm afraid to look in the cold frame but I'm going to open it and take a peek tomorrow.

With how stupid this weather is, we will probably get 10 degrees and 2 feet of snow in March.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
75F on Friday...snow over the weekend...and high 60's today...with tomorrow hitting 70F. I don't mind the warm temps...things are waking up...but, the cold normal year temps roll in and they feel twice as cold.

Top Bottom