Walmart chinese elm progression

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So here is one of my many Wal-Mart trees I picked up early 2018. It's the only chinese elm I've ever found at that store, think I got it for ten bucks since it was the end of season.

Here's how sad it looked when I brought it home.
IMG_20190507_175742.png

I had recently won a pot at a Xmas silent auction for six bucks so I figured what the heck, I'd go ahead and repot it while I cleaned up all the glued on stuff. I I'd some digging and exposed this lanky trunk.
IMG_20190507_175726.png

I let it go several months and just put a little wire on to bring down the branches some. No clue what I was doing but it looked happy last summer.
IMG_20190507_175800.png

Today was a passive aggressive email Tuesday at work and for the last three hours all I wanted to do was work on a tree. It was looking pretty good with nice, healthy growth so I picked it as my victim.

IMG_20190507_170318.jpg

So...wiring is pretty difficult when it's all leafed out. I just wanted to set some shape t o it and maybe start some pads. All in all I'd say my sixteen buck tree might just bring twenty on the open market.
IMG_20190507_175153.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Great job keeping this one healthy. Not sure that the straight top matches the really bendy lower trunk though?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great job keeping this one healthy. Not sure that the straight top matches the really bendy lower trunk though?

Yeah the more I look at it the more I see that. I'm planning on just letting it recover this year and next spring go for a big chop. Maybe something like this in the end. Forgive my lack of artistry.
IMG_20190508_183422.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like it! I’d consider tilting the tree slightly to the viewer’s right next time you repot. I see those “S trunk” elms all the time, so perhaps a change in planting angle could help get away from that image. :)

I’d also cut back further to the second branch.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dig it man. It has much more character/potential than the reg ol run-o-mill S-elm.
At first glance thought even lower..like (maybe this is too wonkified)..
airlayer red
new leader blue
try to bed back to backbranch yellow
grow out and thread graft black
1557373208458.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 241512
Cutting where the red is approximately, you can regrow two leaders and go for a rounded natural looking crown?

Actually, i think im just going to steal your picture and tell everyone thats what the tree looks like. ?

Top Bottom