Walter Pall's trees stolen

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ran across this post over on the IBC:

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t11188p15-trees-stolen-from-wp

Some a$$hat stole two of WP's trees, a big trident maple and spruce. Seems the guy knew which trees he wanted and moved other trees to get them
which points to someone in the bonsai community.

If you're out there, think about returning them. They're doing you no good, You can't display them or even let others see them

They're identifiable and will be as long as their are photos from the owner online.

Oh, and you're a collossal jerk....

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Maybe it time to reflect on the theme of taking thieves hands off. Can you imagine the collective shivver if it came out that a new law had passed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get stuff stolen all the time, it would kill me to lose something like either of those trees.

ed

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't have anything worth stealing ....yet, but this is why my trees are in my fenced in back yard where my 3 dogs (65lbs, 78lbs and 90lbs) have access to all the time. Would be humourous to watch someone attempt to take a tree with a dog latched to their arse. The 90lber does not like strangers in his territory and has fangs that are 1 inch long.

I hope they find the trees and I hope they hang the guy that took them

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Daniel has had trees stolen from Elandan on multiple occasions .... including one just 2 months ago ... each time ... its heart breaking

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ang3Flr3 its heartbreaking if its a little starter you just put out or something you have worked for a year, it must be devastating to lose great trees.

ed

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Aside from the loss is the fact the clowns who do this likely won't give the trees the care they need...

Zaelthus

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This sucks and is one reason I sometimes ponder leaving all my trees in the ground :( I met this one woman out in Langley BC @ Brookswood Nursery, I forget her name. Really nice person and her and her husband have a big property and greenhouse. She said at one point she had 100's of trees, nice ones then one night someone cut their chain link fence backed up a truck and took most of her prized possessions. She just has leftovers now and the cops could care less, I believe they asked her something like: "why do you have so many trees anyways." Pretty sad.

On the bright side I have a 95 lbs German Shepherd deterrent who is pretty vocal and smart. Highly recommended, much better than cameras and alarms !

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This does smell of someone who knows what they want and probably have a buyer lined up. At least there is a probability that the trees may be well cared for-----maybe.

As to someone considering that they do not have anything worth stealing????? I wish that were true, but it is not. Sometimes a bonsai will disappear just because some pendejo thinks they look cool, or they know their mother likes bonsai, or their girl friend, or just simply because they're there and they realize that a bonsai is valuable.

As to the Cops caring????? That too is a myth. I have had that happen where a tree was stolen, a report givin to the police and not another word----ten years or more ago.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The police may not care about a stolen tree. But if people start hurting animals to get those trees that opens up a new department of investigations. Animal abuse is taken very seriously, at least where I'm from. Its a very sad story.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought someone would have found these by now, they are very distinct trees. I would assume there would be literally no market for them, so I have to agree with Mr. Wood, a specific person took these that wanted them or was sent by someone who wanted these trees.

ed

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This does smell of someone who knows what they want and probably have a buyer lined up. At least there is a probability that the trees may be well cared for-----maybe.

As to the Cops caring????? That too is a myth. I have had that happen where a tree was stolen, a report givin to the police and not another word----ten years or more ago.

I am surprised that you are such an expert on Germany and the police there, Vance. You must have spent a lot of time in Germany.

Regardless, I agree that it all smacks of some one who knows what they want and where to find it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This much much more serious than just Walter's two trees now. Their has been a rash of super high quality bonsai thefts in Southern Germany over the last few months. And the theif or theives seem to be getting more bold, taking two at time. Many Germans believe they are either being sold to eastern block Europeans or some POS has an awesome backyard.
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know we all love bonsai, and this sucks so badly for Walter, but is anyone else just struck by how...odd it is for someone to serially steal bonsai? When does one make that decision with their life, to be a bonsai thief? My gast is a little flabbered.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know we all love bonsai, and this sucks so badly for Walter, but is anyone else just struck by how...odd it is for someone to serially steal bonsai? When does one make that decision with their life, to be a bonsai thief? My gast is a little flabbered.

It was just last winter that a guy in Florida walked in a stole a Bonsai from a Bonsai show. They had him on security cameras as he carried it out, the show was wrapping up and everyone assumed he was just someone loading stuff up. The good thing was his neighbor recognized him and turned him in to the police who recovered the tree and incarcerated him. I wonder how his jailhouse reputation will be, " What're in for ? " , " I stole a little tree "....

ed

TheDarkHorseOne

Sapling
Reaction score

While sad, when money comes into the equation, there is always a market. Sad state of the world and we humans. Covet.

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're absolutely right, and I think it speaks to what someone said above: seems only practical to assume that it was stolen by or for another collector. I don't think the general public has even a remote appreciation for the form or value of bonsai much less a penchant for thieving them.

While sad, when money comes into the equation, there is always a market. Sad state of the world and we humans. Covet.

TheDarkHorseOne

Sapling
Reaction score
You're absolutely right, and I think it speaks to what someone said above: seems only practical to assume that it was stolen by or for another collector. I don't think the general public has even a remote appreciation for the form or value of bonsai much less a penchant for thieving them.

Can't disagree at all, goose. Which makes our bonsai world a little bit smaller, and a little less what we would like it to be. Damned shame. I'm not going to let that bad apple diminish my appreciation of the art, though. As far as bonsai, I'm suspicious of insects, not the folks here. I say that with the caveat that I don't have anything worth stealing, though. In my neck of the woods where I have to keep them, perhaps that's a good thing....

Top Bottom