Want an oak...suggestions?

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Should I find a tree and chop it down or start off from with something small. Don’t know much about oaks and I need some advice here. I don’t see many Bonsai either but love they way the look in nature.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What kind of oaks? I ripped some live oaks out of the ground and moved them into a bed thinking they were tough as nails but they appeared to die from the shock.

Attachments

• 20191216_171501.jpg
    20191216_171501.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 31

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There are quite a lot of oaks to pick from.
Quercus robur hates root work, so if you take one from a field or woodland, you'd want to get it into a pot first. Let it grow. After a year or so, if it's healthy, start by removing the taproot and sacrifice a lamb to the bonsai gods, hoping it'll live. After that, you can pretty much chop away whenever you like.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I’m not sure what oak honestly. Doesn’t really matter I don’t reckon. Just want a nice species to work with

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think conventional wisdom is that Oaks need the symbiotic microbe colony that they live with transferred with them to the pot, or else. I think that means that the new medium has to support the microbes, too, such that the standard rocky mixes need to be sufficiently ~organic~ for them to be happy. If you collect a tree it could be helpful to also collect some leaves from the site to be crushed and included in the medium, in addition to including more than typical amounts of original soil.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My favorites are cork oak (Q suber) and coast live oak (Q agrifolia), but both must be protected from freezing. Both handle removal of a tap root well. Both bud back aggressively. Both are among the fastest growing oaks.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good advice on the water oak, you might also want to experiment and go out and collect a live oak, water oak, or maybe a post oak or scarlet oak. Try a few. I’ve had mixed success with collecting and potting, but once established in the pot they seem tough and grow quickly.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think conventional wisdom is that Oaks need the symbiotic microbe colony that they live with transferred with them to the pot, or else. I think that means that the new medium has to support the microbes, too, such that the standard rocky mixes need to be sufficiently ~organic~ for them to be happy. If you collect a tree it could be helpful to also collect some leaves from the site to be crushed and included in the medium, in addition to including more than typical amounts of original soil.

Conventional "wisdom" more like old wives tales. Have never worried about this with any of mine and all do great;).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Conventional "wisdom" more like old wives tales. Have never worried about this with any of mine and all do great;).

What is your degree of not worry?

While I don't think it is necessary to too purposefully include things, I don't think hose washed oaks in sterile soil will have a chance.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pines are generally known to need/harbor root symbiotes and these do excellently in pumice substrate and 0% organic. Personal reason to have any organic in deciduous trees is more H2O retention.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

While I don't think it is necessary to too purposefully include things, I don't think hose washed oaks in sterile soil will have a chance.

Sorce
I've got 2 oaks I've collected, a water oak and a Georgia oak. Both were bare rooted at collection and placed in bonsai soil. One has survived 2 seasons and the other a full growing season. They are both younger/ smaller in the 2"trunk range. Both are leafing out normally this year

Reaction score
I have bought d

I have bought a dozen Portuguese and English oaks bare root. Possibility it’s a different story with collected material

Reaction score
Are

Sorce
Ive personally soaked 4 different species of oaks in water. Potted in my personal bonsai mix and had good results.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just another case of do what you want to do. One size does not fit all.

Top Bottom