Want to Buy: Kinmen Ficus

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I ended up picking up a couple of Melon Seed Ficus and a Small Leaf Fukien Tea (I’m hoping I like this because I generally dislike all the Fukien Tea I’ve had).

Now I’m interested in picking up a Kinmen starter plant (something in a trade gallon size). The problem is I can’t find them anywhere. Anyone know where I can find a Kinmen Ficus for purchase?

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Kinmen is another common name given to what most nurseries call tiger bark. Wigerts should have plenty.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ahhh looks like I misunderstood some other posts in here. Based on those, I thought Kinmen was a smaller cultivar similar to tigerbark. I didn’t realize they were one and the same.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you ask 20 different people to identify a ficus microcarpa you just might get 20 different answers. Most of them aren’t necessarily wrong or right, just different common names for different locations.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It was this post in a thread about ficus cultivars that threw me off. It is described as “a tiger bark with smaller leaves.”This makes it seem like a separate cultivar. Furthermore, my Golden Gate/Tiger Bark have ENORMOUS leaves. I know they can be reduced, but it’s not their default state

Post in thread 'Pond baskets/colanders to be used on tropicals. Yes or no?'
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/p...used-on-tropicals-yes-or-no.21925/post-323051

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So, this is a regular microcarpa? https://www.facebook.com/bonsaiempi...inski-its-showing-lots-of-fi/987820807909462/
I like those figs...Can I expect those in my microcarpas with time and provided the tree is strong and under adequate climate? Hope so....
For some reason your link just takes me to the Bonsai Empire Facebook homepage, so I can’t see what you are linking to.

The only figs I’ve had fruit regularly are my burtt-davyi.

I actually can’t remember seeing any fruit on my tiger bark, green mound, or willow leaf. TBD on my new melon seed.

Top Bottom