Want to buy pre bonsai/yamadori Mugo and Scotts

Reaction score
Hi,

Am from Minnesota and sadly we don't have any bonsai shop in the entire state . I am looking to get my hands on some nice pre bonsai if possible yamadoris of mugo , scotts pine. Need not be too large but looking to get some with atleast decent trunk and taper . Any help or lead is appreciated .

Regards,
Abhishek

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just a heads up that Mugo is a European pine species and that it'd be impossible to find it in the wild in the US... Because it doesn't live there. So yamadori mugo is out of the question. Unless you want to import one, which is pretty expensive and takes at least 2 years to clear.
Most garden stores, garden centers and hardware stores sell mugo though.

Scots pines, not so sure. But those are found in the wild in the US.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Check out Golden Arrow Bonsai over in South Dakota. Lots of yamadori, native species probably not scots or mugo.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn't think it'd ever happen, bit once o tired of looking for conifers and the like, I checked out the azaleas and all that stuff. When it clicks that nearly anything can be bonsaified it makes hunting that much more fun! Latest find, I'm excited for something new!
20220924_144350.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Scots pines are introduced pines and there are a some in different places that they do grow in the wild.
It will be hard to find a Yamadori scots in the U.S. unless its been imported as stated above.
I think @M. Frary has seen some in the wild around where he is

Both can be found at nurseries.

Reaction score
I’ll second @We're all Mad Here...🎩
Have you looked through the great selection at Gerten’s in inver grove heights?
A Little hike, but lots of Scott’s and Mugo verities in all sizes.
Thanks ! I did spend hours and days at Gertens for pre bonsai and have found one mugo despite being grafted - looks pretty good to me .
I was hoping to get hold of some more through some sellers here or some place I don’t know about locally

Jacobsen mugo pine

Attachments

• 9DCA1450-27AF-43FF-8EBE-489E931B4B63.jpeg
    9DCA1450-27AF-43FF-8EBE-489E931B4B63.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 40

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks ! I did spend hours and days at Gertens for pre bonsai and have found one mugo despite being grafted - looks pretty good to me .
I was hoping to get hold of some more through some sellers here or some place I don’t know about locally

Jacobsen mugo pine
That’s nice. I’ve looked at those Jacobsens a number of times. Very cool branching! Never see them in the clearance section though! 😄

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh sure ! I have printed Vance Wood’s compilation on mugo and have it printed . Any idea if there’s a thread somewhere on it ?

I don’t think Vance ever posted a progression on it. The only thread I remember is:

As M.Frary Said, Vance found it in a nursery

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you ! Looks amazing and looks like a lot of ponderosa pines . I have never worked with ponderosa or even kept them as garden plants . So might be interesting .
Yes Ponderosa make great bonsai! Just need to be larger specimen because the needles are long.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No it's not. That is a mugo developed by Vance Wood. It's a very nice tree.
I'll be visiting Vance this week.
And of course I'll be paying the dragon a visit.

Top Bottom