USDA Zone
Nobody wants to have a guess :(
Bonhe

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
One of my black pines is doing this too...only on a lower branch, only on last year's needles. All I can surmise is either it did get too dry, or I'm feeding it too heavily (but only with organics, so I'm not sure that's it)...any hints???

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
According to your chart, the most likely thing is pollution or aerosol salts. What are aerosol salts?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Brian, did your pine needles turn yellow, brown and then drop? Bonhe
Let me give you a hint for the pine needles in my question: those are last year needles on the top of the tree. Bonhe

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
sunburn

keep it green,
Harry

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sounds like sunburn...On mine, One lower branch of the tree displayed this, on last year's needles: the distal 1/2 of some of the needles turned brown, while the proximal portion stayed green. They are still on the tree. I could get a photo tomorrow...

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Root damage of some kind. Old, soggy, poorly drained soil that's needs repotting soon.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
According to your chart, the most likely thing is pollution or aerosol salts. What are aerosol salts?
Aerosol salt? Sorry for my bad handwriting. It should be Alkaline soil - salt damage. Bonhe

P/S: the result will be in on 7/22/09

luckydevil728

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks like sunburn to me ,are your small pines in full sun all day? I get the same thing on my small JBP,they can't be in full sun all day...even if you water all day...Today it's around 100 degrees here in the Los Angeles area. I put mine under shade cloth, when it gets real hot...like it has been this week
good luck....Dan

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. I appreciate the correction.
No problem Fredtruck.
This looks like sunburn to me ,are your small pines in full sun all day? I get the same thing on my small JBP,they can't be in full sun all day...even if you water all day...Today it's around 100 degrees here in the Los Angeles area. I put mine under shade cloth, when it gets real hot...like it has been this week
good luck....Dan
Hi Dan, you may be right. However this small cork pine wasn't in full sun all day.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all responses. As you can see, reddish brown and brown only occured on the tip of the needles. It is a sign of air pollution damage combined with alkaline soil, salt or heat damage. Please take a look my chart in other thread. Thanks. Bonhe

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, I was just going to say that!

Okay, not really, but the tests are fun anyhow, thanks.

Will

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Will, next time you should come on time :)
Bonhe

Top Bottom