Wanted: Acer Palmatum ‘Seigen’

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, it is around 5’ tall and wide. It’s in a place that is difficult to photograph, but it is growing well. I may attempt some air-layers next spring.

View attachment 444345
Wait! By your hand I think I can see some seedlings! Can you tell me what cultivar they might be? :)

D

Deleted member 32750

E25DD59F-666F-4130-9FF8-B4A609DD8132.jpeg
6D836E6D-C29A-40F7-877C-AAF9F19D489F.jpeg
Late summer/early fall shoot on my Seigen purchased from Maplestone Ornamentals.
Huge shoutout to @Ohmy222 for posting here that they were available. Im glad I was able to get one before it sold out, and hope others here were able to get some too.

@james was asking about Deshojo vs Seigen, here is the late summer/early fall shoot on my deshojo for comparison
FE494027-CE54-4525-BEA9-130A7983E86B.jpeg

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anybody who has tried to propagate Seigen or Deshojo from cuttings knows how difficult it can be. Whereas you can expect a +90% success rate for Acer Palmatum 'Arakawa', 'Kashima', 'Katsura', "Kiyo Hime', 'Koto Hime', etc. the success rate for Seigen and Deshojo is truly much lower.

Very true.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My grafted seigen from Esveld is not doing well. Lots of dieback. Fingers crossed that it wakes up soon.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Great work Brian!

Anybody who has tried to propagate Seigen or Deshojo from cuttings knows how difficult it can be. Whereas you can expect a +90% success rate for Acer Palmatum 'Arakawa', 'Kashima', 'Katsura', "Kiyo Hime', 'Koto Hime', etc. the success rate for Seigen and Deshojo is truly much lower.

I could not disagree more, based on personal experience at my own nursery, at my teacher's nursery, and on what I have repeatedly observed in Japan.

Maguila

Seedling
Reaction score
Late to this party. I am looking to get my hands on some Saigen maple, I live in NC any lead? If you guys have cutting or a good source please let me know.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anybody who has tried to propagate Seigen or Deshojo from cuttings knows how difficult it can be. Whereas you can expect a +90% success rate for Acer Palmatum 'Arakawa', 'Kashima', 'Katsura', "Kiyo Hime', 'Koto Hime', etc. the success rate for Seigen and Deshojo is truly much lower. So when one reads “can be propagated by grafting or air layering, but not through cuttings", we know that he likely means:
I think why its so difficult is because those two cultivars are so rare to acquire. I would love to get my hands on either one and have had no luck in the past 5-6 years. I finally secured a shindeshojo and have successfully layered one on its own roots last year. I am going to double my efforts on that cultivar this year when I build my nursery.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
@SouthernMaple a lot has changed since I wrote that 3 years ago.

When I wrote that I was relying on information from Andrea, while trying to make sense of his ambiguous statement in the book. I acquired Seigen (and Beni Chidori) in Spring 2021, and in larger volumes in 2022 and 2023.

Since then I have made modifications to my propagation practices; I now use a different rooting hormone, and a different system for maintaining humidity. The success rate for the Deshojo, Beni Chidori, and Seigen maples taken in May 2022 was as close to 100% as it gets. What's more, this new system seems to work for all cultivars and species.

To avoid repeating the mistake of announcing information too early, I will wait to see the results of May 2023 and May 2024 before sharing what I am doing differently with hormone and humidity.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

When I wrote that I was relying on information from Andrea, while trying to make sense of his ambiguous statement in the book. I acquired Seigen (and Beni Chidori) in Spring 2021, and in larger volumes in 2022 and 2023.

Since then I have made modifications to my propagation practices; I now use a different rooting hormone, and a different system for maintaining humidity. The success rate for the Deshojo, Beni Chidori, and Seigen maples taken in May 2022 was as close to 100% as it gets. What's more, this new system seems to work for all cultivars and species.

To avoid repeating the mistake of announcing information too early, I will wait to see the results of May 2023 and May 2024 before sharing what I am doing differently with hormone and humidity.
good to hear others making strides toward success. Any information you can give out would be great to hear. My main problem has always been not owning my home and now that I have one, there is noone that can hold me back from doing what I want other than myself.

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Could we get a little sneak peek into rooting hormone. Looking for one. Which is one is your favorite one so far? Thanks

D

Deleted member 32750

I cheated. I bought one and then posted it.....
Just curious, does your seigen from maplestone ornamentals look identical to the other one you have as far as leaf shape, size, color, habit, etc?

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just curious, does your seigen from maplestone ornamentals look identical to the other one you have as far as leaf shape, size, color, habit, etc?
I can answer this one. The one from maplestone is more like a bonfire. It is not a seigen. I ordered one last year. Thats a picture of mine in spring.

Attachments

• B7A85214-678B-4E88-A64C-C22D44959B99.jpeg
    B7A85214-678B-4E88-A64C-C22D44959B99.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom