Wanted : Acer Palmatum 'Arakawa' Stock

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Been having a real hard time finding arakawa anywhere. Has anyone seen any for sale online - preferably for mail-order? Thanks!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Check out Mendocino Maples:

Mendocino Maples

Also check out the pine bark maple aka Nishiki gawa. It is another rough bark maple cultivar that barks up faster than arakawa. I saw they also have them at Mendocino Maples.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks! I had seen them but saw they specifically say grafted :(

Oh for certain they are grafted. To get one on its own roots you will have to find one that was cutting grown or the product of an air-layer. I am sorry if I pointed you in the wrong direction - I am not aware of anyone selling arakawa pre-bonsai on their own roots. You might get lucky and get a finished arakawa bonsai somewhere... but they will of course cost $$$.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’d recommend buying at Mendocino Maples. Here’s why, when they say they have low smooth grafts, this is what you get. (See attached). This graft is on a Sharp‘s Pygmy Maple I just received from Mendicino Maples a couple months ago. (Its kind of a pet tree actually.)
477ED6AD-DB2D-49DB-A949-CD34B8412C8D.jpeg
I would call ahead to ask that they pick a good one for bonsai, they are very responsive. I neglected to call ahead to another supplier when I ordered a maple (I noted on the order I wanted a low, smooth graft suitable for bonsai) and got this fine example of a high side veneer graft that will not work without some devine intervention!
67D507B7-B5C0-4F26-9C3B-295BD626CE7A.jpeg
Got my money back, but it was a hassle.
Good Luck!
DSD sends

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
I’d recommend buying at Mendocino Maples. Here’s why, when they say they have low smooth grafts, this is what you get. (See attached). This graft is on a Sharp‘s Pygmy Maple I just received from Mendicino Maples a couple months ago. (Its kind of a pet tree actually.)
View attachment 306898
I would call ahead to ask that they pick a good one for bonsai, they are very responsive. I neglected to call ahead to another supplier when I ordered a maple (I noted on the order I wanted a low, smooth graft suitable for bonsai) and got this fine example of a high side veneer graft that will not work without some devine intervention!
View attachment 306897
Got my money back, but it was a hassle.
Good Luck!
DSD sends
Do we think that that style of graft would eventually heal in a way that would be unnoticeable?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Sharp’s from MM? Yes. One could also raise the soil level a bit if you wanted to cover it up. I’m going to pop it out next year and look at the existing nebari as the first order of business though.
The side veneer graft? Well, not much of a chance unaided. Since I basically got it for “free” as they wouldn’t pay for return shipping, I have a couple options to experiment with. First plant it deep to cover up the graft. Or wait until it grows another year and airlayer the lil guy, or try some cuttings.
Cheers
DSD sends

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally I feel that cutting grown plants for bonsai are usually quite costly for the size. I seem to get better plants by purchasing a larger landscape plant and airlayering. Again, arakawa layers very easily (took three last year). I would suggest whitman farms. Will be grafted but very healthy and well priced maples. If you want on its own roots already:

I have never ordered from this company but found listing. Price is great- if you order would love if you would PM me feedback on the quality of the plant.

Acer palmatum ‘Arakawa’
(Rough Bark) The prominent rough bark texture and upright habit make Arakawa much loved for bonsai. It is one of the cultivars that seems to grow quite rapidly in youth, slowing after the first few years, and very tolerant of hot, windy situations. Fall color is a brilliant scarlet and its habit is particularly lovely. Ours are from rooted cuttings, so there is no graft union. Container Height:5 ft. Landscape Height:11-15 ft. Zone: 6. Full sun/Part Shade. Five Inch-$15.00, Gallons-$20.00

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you looking for large established trees, or are rooted cuttings (no grafts) ok? There's a guy who used to be a member here who sells rooted cuttings from time to time on the facebook auction groups, his name is Martin Sweeny. I bought 3 of them a bunch of years ago, very healthy with excellent root systems.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Shoot them an email. I’m pretty sure they have more then what’s on the site.
So I took your advice, and they sent me pictures of another tree they had. They are asking $650 which is steep for the quality of pictures i got lol :(

IMG_3218.JPGIMG_3217.JPG

IABonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To be fair, Lisa just sent me like 50 pictures of Shimpaku juniper at the same time you were getting these pictures lol

She's been busy

Top Bottom