Wanted Hawthorn coordinates

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’m not exactly looking to buy a collected Hawthorn but rather buy advise on where to look for hawthorn, I drive past woods or farm fields all the time but can never seem to spot one, or even know who to get in touch with for a good area where legal or collection with permission can be done. I’ve been successful with Hornbeam and Pitch Pine possibly my favorite native species for Bonsai thus far , I do love larch and spruce but I already have actives in the works for collecting those, even crab apples for air layers on someone’s orchard. Hawthorn is such a head scratcher to me

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hawthorn are pretty much all around. From what I've seen here in Va. they tend to grow scattered in the woods, not all together in a single place--unlike hornbeam in creek drainages, for example. You have to know what to look for. Once you recognize one, you will begin to see others. There are 200-300 species across North America, but hawthorns come in all manner of crossbred examples that can defy specific ID.

Get a field guide and learn what leaves, bark and flowers looks like on native species initially. Work from there. Most are similar in shape, size and habits. Leaves may differ though. They tend to grow in open (ish) fields, around fencerows in areas with well drained soils. I've also found them in areas of the wood that get good sun. Best way to find one is to look for flowers in the coming months--they tend to flower in April - the beginning of June.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hawthorn are pretty much all around. From what I've seen here in Va. they tend to grow scattered in the woods, not all together in a single place--unlike hornbeam in creek drainages, for example. You have to know what to look for. Once you recognize one, you will begin to see others. There are 200-300 species across North America, but hawthorns come in all manner of crossbred examples that can defy specific ID.

Get a field guide and learn what leaves, bark and flowers looks like on native species initially. Work from there. Most are similar in shape, size and habits. Leaves may differ though. They tend to grow in open (ish) fields, around fencerows in areas with well drained soils. I've also found them in areas of the wood that get good sun. Best way to find one is to look for flowers in the coming months--they tend to flower in April - the beginning of June.
Same as apples where collect after flower or during bud break ?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Pretty sure @Cajunrider collected them all.
North east though ha. I read nick Lenz book a lot and look for clues to where he found them. It’s just so elusive , one thing I only envy Brits / Irish for is their Hawthorn Bonsai and maybe Taxus but definitely their Hawthorns .

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
North east though ha. I read nick Lenz book a lot and look for clues to where he found them. It’s just so elusive , one thing I only envy Brits / Irish for is their Hawthorn Bonsai and maybe Taxus but definitely their Hawthorns .
I offered a couple May hawthorns here for dirt cheap prices and only one person @nuttiest is interested even though others have inquired before. Perhaps it's elusive because we aren't looking. :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They're not all that elusive.. Not as numerous as hornbeam, but they're around in numbers. Once you begin recognizing them, you'll see them. Here are the four most common in PA...As for hawthorn in the U.K., the grass is always greener. We have several hundred species of hawthorn in the U.S...the brits have two...BTW.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They're not all that elusive.. Not as numerous as hornbeam, but they're around in numbers. Once you begin recognizing them, you'll see them. Here are the four most common in PA...As for hawthorn in the U.K., the grass is always greener. We have several hundred species of hawthorn in the U.S...the brits have two...BTW.

They are relatively common, here, as well.. like 3 different kinds.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Every hawthorn I find is infected with something that causes big ugly cankers. The leaves are also susceptible to some kind of rust.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have heard that they grow on the line between fields and forest and act as a fence of sorts.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah but wtf happens where the UK have the gnarliest hawthorn I’ve ever seen I drove around after work down back roads near farms and I saw nothing of the sort. Guess I gotta go to more farms where there are cattle

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Edge of fields, on side of roads, the ones around my way have wicked thorns that give them away

Top Bottom