Wanted: Japanese Maple Seigen

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
@leatherback have you looked at this image from Meriggioli’s book?

I guess the trouble, too, is that there are 5-10 other cultivars that could potentially be mistaken for ‘seigen’ which are not in this image.

The only guy that i know who truly has a lot of them is Danny Use. Otherwise, people from all over (many from Germany!) email me looking for ‘seigen’ — what i’m getting at is, it’s unlikely that you got one ‘by accident’. By your phrasing it doesn’t sound like it was sold to you as a ‘seigen’?

7849D20D-B016-4D96-B09D-4F0E25E4CD3D.jpeg

Attachments

• B456BD87-563C-487F-84FA-E8AAE1C01C3D.jpeg
    B456BD87-563C-487F-84FA-E8AAE1C01C3D.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 4

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll try to strike a few cuttings this summer but I'm notoriously bad at getting JM to root

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@leatherback have you looked at this image from Meriggioli’s book?
Absolutely. I have the book here :)

By your phrasing it doesn’t sound like it was sold to you as a ‘seigen’?
No, it was a tree that the nursery I frequent was selling for a customer. I thought it was just an old regular maple. Clearly Japan import originally, but poorly treated, and weak. They had not seen it in leaf. So when in spring the buds were good, we talked, discussed money. Paper and trees swapped hands. And in spring I had this shocking foliage, of which a few people around me claimed Seigen. As they are hard to get, it is not easy to do a direct comparison.

Maybe I should load it up and bring it to Danny one day. Sad he is 4hrs drive from me.
logo_20210415_6.jpg

Top Bottom