Wanted : JBP

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OMG - :)

Well, I guess that is why the state of bonsai in California is what it is......or is that the other way around....;)

Around here bonsai is practically unknown. "oh yeah... they got those at HD.." :(

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I never really realized how lucky I was that I could just go and actually look at what I wanted, pick what I wanted, and purchase what I wanted at a fair price.

Here are some pictures of the local black pine nursery close to me. Here I can get Mikawa, Arakawa and Awagi black pine. An article about this nursery is due out in Golden Statements soon.

...chalking this up in the "life isn't fair" category... :(

Does this guy sell online? And what is Awagi?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry misspelled. Awaji is an island west of Kobe Japan linked to the main island of Honshu by the worlds longest suspension bridge.

Like Mikawa, the Awaji pine is pinus thunbergiana, just a JBP named for an area in which it grows.

So if seed from Awaji Japan is sent to Sanger California, does it become a Sanger Black Pine?

or...is this taxonomy according to where it grows becoming a little silly?

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the JBP I bought from George last year for around $125, and I've seen bigger/better JBP from him at our club meetings. I suspect his eBay prices are a little higher than Al gets. It will take a while to develop the apex, it has potential to be a nice little shohin. Each of the 5-6 trees I've seen from George have been very well cultivated. Good branching, great root system that has been worked on, and TINY needles!

@ Nip: George told me through email that all of his JBP are Mikawa; his aunt(?) sends him seed from the Mikawa area. Mine is too young to tell by the bark, but the needles are a little fresher green in color than my other JBP, which is a characteristic.

I've bought two JBPs from George - I really like the type of JBP he sells too, which has dark needles that are on the smaller side, with lots of branching up and down the trunk. He's also very helpful if you have questions. The one thing I'd note is that the soil he uses is sort of a sandy type soil that I think would be disastrous for those of us on the East Coast that are used to very wet weather. His trees are very healthy though, and I've repotted them in my soil mix by completely bare rooting them (did not hose off the roots) and they didn't miss a beat.

On Evergreen: I haven't met Brent, but I feel like I know him from buying 8-9 trees and communicating back and forth. I'm sure he has great stock at the nursery, but online, I see Evergreen as a place where you can get nearly any species, variety or cultivar that you read about in the books, propagated expressly for bonsai. You just need to be ready to grow it out for a while to have bonsai material. Named cultivars of Cork Bark JBP, JWP, or Ilex serrata for examples can be difficult to find (for me).

Brent is great as well. I haven't bought any pines from him so can't comment on his pine stock, but I've bought some specialty cultivars from him like flowering quince, etc. He's also very helpful and takes the time to give you thought out responses to your questions which I found very nice.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So if seed from Awaji Japan is sent to Sanger California, does it become a Sanger Black Pine?

or...is this taxonomy according to where it grows becoming a little silly?

In the spirit of "Brangelena"...I vote for "Awanger"...or maybe "Sanaji" Shall we vote? :p

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've bought two JBPs from George - I really like the type of JBP he sells too, which has dark needles that are on the smaller side, with lots of branching up and down the trunk. He's also very helpful if you have questions. The one thing I'd note is that the soil he uses is sort of a sandy type soil that I think would be disastrous for those of us on the East Coast that are used to very wet weather. His trees are very healthy though, and I've repotted them in my soil mix by completely bare rooting them (did not hose off the roots) and they didn't miss a beat.

I did the same thing with mine and another club member's from George...both did fine as well. The roots had been worked on nicely, which made changing the soil pretty easy on the roots, and didn't necessitate removing much.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mojosan, I got this pine last September at Brussels sale. This was $95.00, they have many others for $200-$300 also. They do not list these in the catalog or show on the web site. You can see the stock number on the pot in the picture, I do not know if they will ship these or you have to buy direct.

Have A Great Day!
Michael

Attachments

• JBP-100.JPG
    JBP-100.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 73
  • ManyMore.JPG
    ManyMore.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 60
  • ManyMore2.JPG
    ManyMore2.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mojosan, I got this pine last September at Brussels sale. This was $95.00, they have many others for $200-$300 also. They do not list these in the catalog or show on the web site. You can see the stock number on the pot in the picture, I do not know if they will ship these or you have to buy direct.

Have A Great Day!
Michael

I have a feeling that many of those pines actually came from Frank Kroeker. Go to the source. His prices are far too low.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I purchased a JBP from Bill V. -
Will post when I can get some pics ( and advice :) )

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have a feeling that many of those pines actually came from Frank Kroeker. Go to the source. His prices are far too low.

Actually, at Brussel's you can see every stage of JBP from seedlings, graduating (without enough root work) from 1g to 5g to 10g and finally to a bonsai pot where they go up in price. I spoke with Brussel and Dana about their JBP material last fall; they import seed and grow their domestic stock right in that space you see in ml_work's photos. Starting with last year's "crop" he has gone to 'Mikawa' seed.

Combing through that stock, you can find relatively good deals; especially on the bigger-trunked JBP while they are still $350 in the fall before they go into a bonsai pot for $595 or $750...

It is interesting to see the progression of their container-grown material.

Not saying he doesn't get anything from Frank Kroeker, I think Dana buys regularly from other sources...a couple years ago some decent malus showed up, along with some JRP, domestic-grown, and not from the nursery.

OK...I admit it, when I was working regularly in Memphis, I'd get over there about every 3 weeks to unwind...amazing how a tough day can melt away when you start walking through the specimen house!

Last edited:
Top Bottom