Wanted : JBP

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am looking for a small black pine. Something pre-bonsai or more advanced. I am looking for shohin sized material with good trunk ( 1.5" or more)
If you have, or know of any for sale, I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

($200-300 range)

Thanks

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Contact Brent at http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/pinus.htm. Great service, very reasonable shipping, and all around nice guy (buy 1 $8 plant, email him for advice about it and he responds with good advice). I haven't done business with the others mentioned here but it's hard to go wrong with http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/index.htm
I don't think I'm speaking just for myself; I believe others will back me up on this.
I'm not affiliated in any way, except the loyal customer way.
Ray

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Contact Brent at http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/pinus.htm. Great service, very reasonable shipping, and all around nice guy (buy 1 $8 plant, email him for advice about it and he responds with good advice). I haven't done business with the others mentioned here but it's hard to go wrong with http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/index.htm
I don't think I'm speaking just for myself; I believe others will back me up on this.
Ray

DEFINITELY! Brent has great stock, but you'll want to email him directly (or PM him here) for your needs in the $200-$300 shohin JBP category.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ray

I looked at the web site and was pretty shocked at the price for a one gallon grafted piece of material. Size of a pencil or even a dime for 65.00 is pretty steep, and absolutely no training.

nip

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brent is definitely a great source for material.

Smoke, please share your alternative sources for quality low-grafted variegated pines. Thanks

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Jbp

I am looking for a small black pine. Something pre-bonsai or more advanced. I am looking for shohin sized material with good trunk ( 1.5" or more)
If you have, or know of any for sale, I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

($200-300 range)

Thanks

Mojosan I have the perfect JBP for you for $225.00.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Concorde you email blocker is stopping messages from going through. Check your messages.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

($200-300 range)

Thanks

Mr. Mojo has not requested varigated black pines, nor grafted black pines. He has asked for black pines with 1.5 inch trunks and in the 200 to 300 dollar range.

George Muranaka sells on eBay and has good Mikawa JBP stock, mostly small and mostly off to a good start....

http://shop.ebay.com/mbn1978/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

I have seen half a dozen of his JBP and JRP and own one myself.

Brian is correct for the buck, George has the best deals on the net. I have no beef with Brent at Evergreen, just I feel for the material and size this is a little steep. These are small trees and not what Mojo is looking for. At least with the paragraph I have quoted here.

Brent is definitely a great source for material.

Smoke, please share your alternative sources for quality low-grafted variegated pines. Thanks

I do not have any sources for varigated pines. Would never purchase a varigated pine nor would I purchase a grafted black pine. These are just my opinions.

This pine below was recently purchased in February at the Shohin convention. It was purchased from George Muranaka. It has been wired by me, and will be grown out for a couple years and needle plucked and developed for shape. The apex needs the most work, but there are numerous buds to develop.

Price: $45.00 bucks for a 8 inch tall JPB with a 1.25 inch trunk. I think the potential for a nice shohin pine is with in my reach here.

What do you think Nip? Does my post make more sense?

Attachments

• DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_00020002.JPG
    DSC_00020002.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_00040003.JPG
    DSC_00040003.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_00060004.JPG
    DSC_00060004.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 114

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, I'd buy as many of these for $45 ea as you can find me! :)

I have seen some of George Muranaka's pines on ebay - but they are much more than $45, and not nearly as good as the one you posted. Maybe he keeps the better ones for club sales?

My problem is that where I live there just aren't any clubs or nurseries with anything but landscape material. There is one a few hours drive away, but I am unable to get there due to their scheduling/meeting times.

nip

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What do you think Nip? Does my post make more sense?

I agree that the price is steep for a young tree, that is why I inquired if you knew of another source. I sensed no negativity towards Evergreen in your post. I apologize if my question appeared as anything more than an inquiry to your mention of grafted pines. Good stuff
Very nice tree, Smoke. I also have a Muranaka pine :) Its a little bigger than yours and all I have is the original pic from over a year ago. George packs his trees better than anyone before mailing. My only complaint is the poor potting. Chunks of clay and gaps of soil free areas beneath the soil.
Brian Van Fleet mentioned that George's pines are Mikawa, is that true?

Mojosan, contact George directly and he may be willing to select a specific tree for you.

Attachments

• pine1.jpg
    pine1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
I have purchased a couple of black pines from George Muranaka. He is great to deal with and sells quality material at a reasonable price. I have also purchased a number of black pines from Frank Kroeker which are very nice. You won't go wrong with either of these guys.

Gib

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is the JBP I bought from George last year for around $125, and I've seen bigger/better JBP from him at our club meetings. I suspect his eBay prices are a little higher than Al gets. It will take a while to develop the apex, it has potential to be a nice little shohin. Each of the 5-6 trees I've seen from George have been very well cultivated. Good branching, great root system that has been worked on, and TINY needles!

@ Nip: George told me through email that all of his JBP are Mikawa; his aunt(?) sends him seed from the Mikawa area. Mine is too young to tell by the bark, but the needles are a little fresher green in color than my other JBP, which is a characteristic.

On Evergreen: I haven't met Brent, but I feel like I know him from buying 8-9 trees and communicating back and forth. I'm sure he has great stock at the nursery, but online, I see Evergreen as a place where you can get nearly any species, variety or cultivar that you read about in the books, propagated expressly for bonsai. You just need to be ready to grow it out for a while to have bonsai material. Named cultivars of Cork Bark JBP, JWP, or Ilex serrata for examples can be difficult to find (for me).

Attachments

• Muranaka Black Pine.jpg
    Muranaka Black Pine.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 96

donamitu

Seedling
Reaction score
On Evergreen: I haven't met Brent, but I feel like I know him from buying 8-9 trees and communicating back and forth. I'm sure he has great stock at the nursery, but online, I see Evergreen as a place where you can get nearly any species, variety or cultivar that you read about in the books, propagated expressly for bonsai. You just need to be ready to grow it out for a while to have bonsai material. Named cultivars of Cork Bark JBP, JWP, or Ilex serrata for examples can be difficult to find (for me).

That is so true. Brent is the best possible source for the widest range of species, for me. I'm sure it is always possible to get lucky with great material at low prices but I know for sure that with Brent, I always get exactly what I want.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I never really realized how lucky I was that I could just go and actually look at what I wanted, pick what I wanted, and purchase what I wanted at a fair price.

Here are some pictures of the local black pine nursery close to me. Here I can get Mikawa, Arakawa and Awagi black pine. An article about this nursery is due out in Golden Statements soon.

Attachments

• 100_02290001.JPG
    100_02290001.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_02300002.JPG
    100_02300002.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_02320004.JPG
    100_02320004.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_02360008.JPG
    100_02360008.JPG