Wanted Korean hornbeam and princess persimmon

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
I’m located in the Midwest area, Ohio specifically. I’ve been unable to find any good sources for some more mature Korean hornbeam or princess persimmon. The only hornbeams I’ve found have been less than an 1” trunk and usually have the (dreaded) s-shape and run above the 150$ mark. I’m willing to drive! If anyone has any tips I’d be greatly appreciative

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll take a kidney if you willing to exchange for these. I do have both korean hornbeams and princess persimmon. Check on Julian Adam.... that is where I got my PP. Sorry I can't recall the name of the place where I got KH.... they do sell quite a few things online..... Something miniature.

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
I'll take a kidney if you willing to exchange for these.
Ya know, I already traded my two kidneys a while back. I’d offer up my liver or one of my lungs but those’ll come with some wear and tear. But I really appreciate the info on the pp

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m located in the Midwest area, Ohio specifically. I’ve been unable to find any good sources for some more mature Korean hornbeam or princess persimmon. The only hornbeams I’ve found have been less than an 1” trunk and usually have the (dreaded) s-shape and run above the 150$ mark. I’m willing to drive! If anyone has any tips I’d be greatly appreciative
It's late to be ordering seedlings from most reputable bonsai people, as they may have run out of stock. Most of them ship seedlings in the late winter/early spring. I would stay away from crap on etsy and ebay. Overpriced junk that can be dying or is already dead.

Matt Ouwinga at Kaede Bonsai has great stuff including KH

Julian Adams has Princess persimmon and others

Bill Valavanis typically has KH. Get on his mailing list

Brent Walston at Evergreengardenworks has been supplying seedlings and mature trees for bonsai for a very long time.

I've bought from all these folks. Have bought a maturish Princess Persimmon from Julian. Sold it because it was a male and didn't fruit--knew that when I bought it though. I bought KH from Bill V. 20 years ago, developed them into a great forest, but sadly a harsh winter in 2010 with heavy snow (five feet) smashed it. I've been to Matt's place in Md. He imports seeds from Japan for many species every year and sends out thousands of seedlings and saplings in the spring. Have also gotten great seedlings from Brent.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I also Meehan miniature is the place I ordered KH. I also bought tons of seedlings from Matt O. and very happy with it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Julian Adams has princess persimmon. Also Ed Clark has them... which is where I think Julian got his.

Top Bottom