WANTED TO BUY: Ficus benjamina 'Variegata' with lots of white

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If we are allowed to buy and sell on this site, I am looking for a F. benjaminia variegata WITH A LOT OF WHITE on the leaves. I have already bought same with just a slight edge variegation and I'm not interested in more like it. I am flexible on size. They can be shipped bare root in a plastic bag via UPS almost anywhere in winter because they go from warehouse to warehouse. I have shipped more tender species from Florida to myself many times and never lost anything. (Buy, or trade)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I used to see these all over the place... and now that you mention them, I can't recall seeing them in a while.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used to see these all over the place... and now that you mention them, I can't recall seeing them in a while.
Thanks, I needed that? Keep your eye open for me?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have heard that the more light you give them the more it enhances the white. Don’t know if that is true or not. I know it does work that way with other plants too.
https://gardengoodsdirect.com/product/variegated-ficus-benjamina/

Mehans miniatures also carries them.

Search on eBay for ficus- Nicole. You will see some there.
$20 on etsy but they are very white.48526E2F-825D-49BE-9033-5EB7EDFB08A7.jpeg

Last edited:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This beast is on eBay located in Westminster, Ca for $389 but its local pick up only. If you know anyone out there??CAA978AB-B641-456D-9E62-9B0304CFB9FC.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have heard that the more light you give them the more it enhances the white. Don’t know if that is true or not. I know it does work that way with other plants too.
https://gardengoodsdirect.com/product/variegated-ficus-benjamina/

Mehans miniatures also carries them.

Search on eBay for ficus- Nicole. You will see some there.
$20 on etsy but they are very white.View attachment 224884
I thought you had it, but 'Moonlight' is the one with just a slight edge which makes it a crappy green rather than variegated like the photo, here, which is 'Sliver Cloud'. I'd be happy to buy one, but it's not actually available anywhere. I already bought one where the picture was good, but the plant actually is 'Moonlight'. There is another one, F. b. 'Variegata', which has even more white. Thanks for your help.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What about starlight?
A29583E4-02FF-4930-8102-CAAFDF78FEA4.jpeg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you have a photo of one that you like?
I think the one you’re searching for must be starlight.5C2272DB-540B-490B-B856-84719FA6AFCF.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I made a mistake on the name: I said 'Moonlight' and should have said 'Starlight' is the one with the faint edge. I would be happy to buy the one you have pictured, here. I will go look now. I would also buy a bigger one, but not the $389 one which is 'Starlight' in a photo with bad lighting. All the names, 'Starlight', 'Silver Cloud', variegated and 'Variegata' are used willy-nilly and only a photo of the plant you are buying is definitive.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think ficus Nicole is the dwarf version of starlight but I could be wrong.
To get the white that your seeking these plants will have to be grown in full sunlight.
Even with the best genes the margins with fade to cream or green up in lesser conditions.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love the picture, but whichever it is, it ain't here at PAOrchidExchange. The Glasshouse Works has 'Golden King', but looking at their photos is a real good example of what I'm talking about: the broad view is what I want to buy, but the two close-ups are exactly what I don't want. Now, do I buy it and complain that it's not what I want? I don't want to hear, "It will mature to blah blah blah... I've been at this a long, long time, and you get what you buy, pictures be damned.

It gets worse. At Costa Farms there are many variegated forms including some dwarfs that are appealing, but looking at two side-by-side, 'Silver Cloud' & 'Starlight' looks like the latter has more white. It doesn't matter. Clicking on either one takes you to Exotic Angle Plants where none are offered.

Last edited:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Go to Etsy and search ficus starlight.
You will see it there.BE7F6B3A-D4A9-47D7-B116-D31AD1523A9C.png

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To get the white that your seeking these plants will have to be grown in full sunlight.
Even with the best genes the margins with fade to cream or green up in lesser conditions.
I have a greenhouse.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Go to Etsy and search ficus starlight.
You will see it there.View attachment 224903
It's a good example. This Esty search shows 11 offers of 'Starlight', only one of which has lots of white. Take a wild guess at which one isn't using a photo of what I'm going to get, but a stock photo from who knows where? Thanks anyway for your honest efforts. You are a workman of the highest order!
'Nicole' or 'Nikita' are good and I would buy either or both, if they were available. Evidently, all these are propagated by the same entity, and he's out to lunch.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You could always contact the grower and let them know what your expectations are and see if they can meet them.

FWIW- I am not a fan of hirts for buying plants. They may have been great at some point but not where I would shop.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I thought you had it, but 'Moonlight' is the one with just a slight edge which makes it a crappy green rather than variegated like the photo, here, which is 'Sliver Cloud'. I'd be happy to buy one, but it's not actually available anywhere. I already bought one where the picture was good, but the plant actually is 'Moonlight'. There is another one, F. b. 'Variegata', which has even more white. Thanks for your help.
I re-read this and I put it all badly and wrong: The $389 one pictured is a 'Starlight', there is no 'Moonlight', I want 'Silver Cloud' or 'Variegata' , and all of these names are used almost always interchangeably or incorrectly, evidently even by me. I also would like a 'Nicole' and 'Nikita', both of which are 'Too Little' dwarfs. 'Silver King' is another possibility.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
now You got me looking at Nicole too :)

Top Bottom