Warm/Cold stratification

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was recently given some "Japanese Maple" (Acer palmatum) seeds from my grandma (she is trying to teach me how to take things slower in life lol). She told me that the seeds must undergo a stratification process before they can germinate. I am familiar with stratification but, she is telling me to put them in a plastic tote with peat moss, some charcoal, and a tiny amount of water and let it sit under my sink for 4months; THEN i must do the same but in my refrigerator for another 4months, AND then and only then may I sow the seeds. Now 8 months is a long time to wait for seeds to grow, and even then she only gave me 5 seeds. I soaked them in water for 24hours (as she instructed) and all sank to the bottom. So I guess all 5 have life in em. Ive done some research but still have some questions;

1) So I guess my question is; does the stratification process for these seeds really take that long to break its dormancy?

2) And if so do the seeds need both warm and cold stratification?

3) Which method should I employ first if both types of stratification are required?

Any response will be greatly appreciated. =)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Dirr and Heuser (a book you will want if you plan on doing much propagating) says the following. If the seeds are dry they should be soaked at 110F for two days then dusted with fungicide and stratified in moist peat at 40F for 3-5 months.

Here is a link to the book, it is fairly inexpensive. http://www.amazon.com/Reference-Man...e+reference+manual+of+woody+plant+propagation

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay I will see if I can get a pdf version of the book. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom