warped bougainvillea leaves

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a problem with my bougainvillea that I plan to become a bonsai in the future.

To begin. I've had this plant, if I'm not mistaken, since the beginning of 2021. It was in the nursery for a very cheap price but I could see that it was suffering a bit and I decided to get it for myself (they were all in that state). here at home I took care of it by watering and fertilizing and even then it developed very little and with fragile branches. When I took it out of the pot for repot I saw that it had very few roots and with that I decided to put it in a bigger pot to grow freely. however, it has sprouted with these deformations in the leaves and with this strange color.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-03 at 17.24.07.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-03-03 at 17.24.06 (2).jpeg

But it also came with apparently healthy leaves as you can see here.
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-03 at 17.24.08.jpeg

Do you know what it is? how do i solve this?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm just beginning with bougainvillea's myself, and have been seeing similar things. The answers I have gotten from others were too much water, and possibly nutrient deficiency.
Well draining soil, or water less frequently, and find a fertilizer better for this plant. MiracleGro Mir-Acid is what was recommended to me recently.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I agree with @penumbra , some sort of pest. I had some disfigured bougie leaves a couple of years back that looked very similar.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mine get aphids and other pests that can cause the young leaves to be misshapen. A blast with the hose, manual removal, and or a neem oil spray usually takes care of it. They also like to dry out between watering and benefit from anything that can help lower the pH.

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Mine get aphids and other pests that can cause the young leaves to be misshapen. A blast with the hose, manual removal, and or a neem oil spray usually takes care of it. They also like to dry out between watering and benefit from anything that can help lower the pH.
I'll try to manage my watering better and also look for that neem oil you mentioned.

Thanks!

Top Bottom