Was asked a question can you answer it

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shimpaku...are they hardy in zone 9-10? A friend and I were talking. And the question came up if they could do well in their zone. Honestly...I don't know.

Isn't BVF in 9-10?

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Alabama is 7 - 8ish and 8 is pushing it a bit. I would think a solid 9 - 10 would be difficult as they need some dormancy. Just my thought on it.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No, he's in zone 7b I think, same zone as me. I suspect shimpaku can be grown in zone 9 but won't be as vigorous.
But zone 10...impossible. I mean it said to zone 9 in a search...but...since they need that dormant resting period. I questioned how well they could do in zone 9...and zone 10 I would say...no. I'm on the right path it seems. Not as vigorous sounds appropriately sound advice. Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We got a broke Wine Cooler at work.
Nice glass front.

Just a thought.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wigert's sells shimpaku, so they must live in South florida.

Aaron
Doesn't mean much, I can drive 35 minutes to a nursery that sells zone 6 trees. Which would die in my own yard. Zones are quirky at best. The zone 6 trees have been heatedly discussed at our home. My husband wants to line the back yard with them...they surely would die, we are zone 5...with a hiccup chance at becoming briefly a zone 4 come winter with those arctic spells we seen in the past recent years.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Doesn't mean much, I can drive 35 minutes to a nursery that sells zone 6 trees. Which would die in my own yard. Zones are quirky at best. The zone 6 trees have been heatedly discussed at our home. My husband wants to line the back yard with them...they surely would die, we are zone 5...with a hiccup chance at becoming briefly a zone 4 come winter with those arctic spells we seen in the past recent years.
I was just saying they must do okay if they have them in stock pretty consistently, being in Fort Meyers Florida it never gets cold or even cool for that matter. Eric wigert is a pretty smart guy, It's very possible they give them some sort of artificial dormancy? I don't know. Carry on

Aaron

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wigert's sells shimpaku, so they must live in South florida.

Doesn't mean much

Shimpaku is a term/word used frequently to describe most any juniper... Wigert's sells a King Juniper and others and calls them Shimpaku. Normal practice really but if you are as picky as I am it really makes a difference.

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
But zone 10...impossible. I mean it said to zone 9 in a search...but...since they need that dormant resting period. I questioned how well they could do in zone 9...and zone 10 I would say...no. I'm on the right path it seems. Not as vigorous sounds appropriately sound advice. Thanks!

I live in zone 10A and shimpakus are one of my most vigorous growers. I take shimpaku cuttings regularly and they will root in a pond basket in 100% pumice with nothing other than water. I also have shimpaku in the ground that are doing fine (but not growing nearly as fast as the shimpakus in pond baskets).

At least one of my shimpakus accompanied me all the way from Chicago, where it was used to being in a deep freeze 4 months of the year. It prefers the California winters :)

For the record, there are TONS of cold hardy trees that do NOT do well in zone 10A - pines in particular seem to be highly sensitive if they want the cold and don't get it. Some of my fruiting trees won't flower or fruit if they don't get enough cold. They won't die, but they aren't happy. Last winter was a very mild / warm winter for us. I think I only got a couple peach blossoms and my almond was really weak.

The closely related Hollywood Juniper (Juniperus chinensis 'torulosa') is pretty much ubiquitous in landscapes here.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I live in zone 10A and shimpakus are one of my most vigorous growers. I take shimpaku cuttings regularly and they will root in a pond basket in 100% pumice with nothing other than water. I also have shimpaku in the ground that are doing fine (but not growing nearly as fast as the shimpakus in pond baskets.

At least one of my shimpakus accompanied me all the way from Chicago, where it was used to being in a deep freeze 4 months of the year. It prefers the California winters :)
Wow! Thanks...I had not expected to hear this...will share.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here are some two year-old cuttings... I probably have more shimpaku than any other tree species.

But would you recommend them to someone new to Juniper in zone 10? Pretty obvious you know the proper pot and repot methods and specific care needed... Honest I have many growing down south but they are in the hands of a pro... ;)

I think they would have problems is all...

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think they would have problems is all...

I honestly have never head of anyone having problems with them. I think of them as being bulletproof. Between shimpaku and Chinese elms, as a first bonsai I actually think I would recommend the shimpaku (as long as it was kept outdoors).

They sit out in full sun here - and it can be very dry and very hot in the summer. I had three plants I accidently "cooked" because they were in small pond baskets that didn't get enough water and the pumice dried out. The side of the rootball facing the sun completely died. I discovered my problem, and got them back into water and they are well on their way to recovery. Just a really hardy plant, IMHO. At least here(?)

Here are my two burnt up shimpaku (next to a 3rd basket I didn't burn). All from the same "generation" to compare size.

shimpy1.jpg

And the largest of my round basket cuttings (I took all of the round baskets ones at the same time)

shimpy2.jpg

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here are my two burnt up shimpaku (next to a 3rd basket I didn't burn). All from the same "generation" to compare size.

Oh my... That is a bad representation :eek: Easy Greg, just joking but I think that shows it might not be a good idea for someone that has zero experience with them and the time to properly watch them and conditions.

I have 2 dozen mixed Nana, Sargent, Itoigawa, Kishu, and Shimpaku junipers growing in Alabama and they are doing great in a controlled manner. Again, possible but I still do not feel any are appropriate for a beginner plant - they take special care that takes a few years to master when potted. Quite unlike advertised by vendors most beginners kill them.

Any chance those are being grown for Pressler at Kimura for his work shops? They look very similar and robust(except for the two of course)! Reason I ask is if they are true Shimpaku I am interested this coming Spring.

Edit: Forgot to ask what the humidity is like there in the Summer?

Grimmy

Last edited:

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I'm not mistaken dormancy is triggered by shortening hours of daylight moe than cool weather. Maybe thats all those juniper need and not colder northern temps?
CW

Top Bottom