Washing the leaves on indoor bonsai?

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How do you give your plants a bath? I've read where people suggest putting them in the shower, but I think my shower is going to be a little hard. Would you suggest just sticking them out in the rain when it rains?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You can stick them out in the rain, or else take them outside and hose them off. A shower with a handheld attachment works pretty well though - you can turn down the water pressure so it isn't too powerful. Plus, you can use the shower when it is too cold to take indoor plants outside...

Reaction score
I water all my houseplants in the shower about once a week. Just stick them all in there and turn on the water for about 5 minutes, (yest with straight tapwater) then I will go back and fertilize each one with a weak solution of miracle grow. I have a large dendrobium that I have to wipe the leaves off about once a month when the dust collects on it.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All my indoor trees and houseplants get a shower about 2-3x per year - with a hand held shower head so that I don't blast all the substrate down the drain. Any more than that is just too much work...

Reaction score
I shower mine outside with a watering can filled with warm water. Good time to apply a liquid feed as well.

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I put them in the kitchen sink, and use the sprayer hose there It's a fine spray, spread out and doesn't wash away the soil.

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies. I used tap water for misting for about two days then realized that we have a lot of lime or calcium or whatever causes a white film to harden over the leaves. I then switched to rain water. I use tap on all my outdoor plants, but the film doesn't seem to show up on them like it does my indoor plants, so that's the reason using rain water is starting to interest me.

Top Bottom