Washington Hawthorne--tough to get flowering?

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
Assuming the trunks are thick like 2 inches and aged at least 15-20 years old, and using plenty of high phosphorus fertilizer, what else can be done to get them flowering. I had one for over 20 years in my care .HEalthy vigorus growth every spring.Root pruned every 3 years . I tried letting some growth go untouched for 2 years and others pinched back to 2 buds on every twig. It never flowered . I sold it off n disgust. Now I have 2 more with thick heavy trunks probably over 15 years old. ID like to get them to flower. They are the bottom 2 pics

Attachments

• W.Hawthorne (2).JPG
    W.Hawthorne (2).JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 26
  • W.Hawthorne (3).JPG
    W.Hawthorne (3).JPG
    504.7 KB · Views: 30
  • W.hawthorne.JPG
    W.hawthorne.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN3020.JPG
    DSCN3020.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN3029.JPG
    DSCN3029.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 23

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I could be wrong, but i’m pretty sure that hawthorns will only flower on the previous years new growth. So if you’re pruning them back heavily each spring before bud break this may be part of the issue.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I read the Graham Potter article, it makes sense. It was a shame you got rid of the older hawthorn, likely it would have started blooming eventually. Once you are past 20 years, it should bloom.

Fertilizer. The practice of using high phosphorus fertilizer towards autumn is archaic, a practice developed in areas of heavy autumn smog, where the acid rain provided all the nitrogen the fruit and vegetables needed. It was developed in London, in the 1880's at Kew. Books have endlessly repeated it without question.

Excess phosphorus can disrupt normal growth. It is possible excess phosphorus is causing your lack of bloom. Read information from more current research, like the information coming out of Michigan State University, Horticultural Extension Services. A balanced fertilizer is actually something like 12-0.9-11 if nitrogen is as nitrate. If nitrogen is a blend of ammonia, nitrate and urea, the ideal formula is 12-0.9-4, a good fertilizer will supplement calcium, magnesium, & sulfur.

The ratio of nutrient uptake does not change with the seasons, only the quantity required changes. Light feeding in autumn, heavier feeding in late spring & summer.

Do read Potter's article, and throw out your high phosphorus fertilizer.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My little-hip hawthorn was in bloom when I chopped it to a stump and collected it 19 years ago. It has not bloomed since. I suspect it has a lot to do with pruning during the current growing season, because the one I collected and @Dav4 now owns blooms when he lets it run wild.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My little-hip hawthorn was in bloom when I chopped it to a stump and collected it 19 years ago. It has not bloomed since. I suspect it has a lot to do with pruning during the current growing season, because the one I collected and @Dav4 now owns blooms when he lets it run wild.
Yup, and I cut back the sacrifice branch lightly during last year's growing season and poof... no blooms this spring after blooms two years in a row.

Top Bottom