Washington Hawthorne

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Last year I picked up an unmarked tree from my local bonsai nursery. It grew extremely well over the past year.
I’d say even faster than my trident which was planted in the ground too. Roots established quickly and as soon as runners began the tree took off. After a full season it was at least 5 feet tall. (no shots before cutting unfortunately) The tree put on over a quarter inch of thickness and started developing fissures in the bark.

I dug out the tree, cut off all long shoots and did a major root pruning. Dug it out and put it in a box. I think this tree has really good potential as a shohin – kifu sized bonsai with a very elegant image. The foliage reduces well and ramification can be had easily. The fall color is a great treat too. The plan is to create primary branching from (hopefully) good back-budding and perhaps allowing the roots to escape in the ground for successive stages of thickening.

Any design advice and virts especially would be super helpful. I think the bones for a nice tree is here but I have no plan for my branching yet. Let me know what you think. More here:
https://bontsai.com/category/trees/washington-hawthorne/

20170107_105718.jpg

20170107_123608.jpg

20170107_105750.jpg

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I just love Washington Haw leaves! Just as a side I successfully did a root cutting from one you should try it when you root prune.
Yeah leaves are awesome. This tree sent out runners like crazy. Root cutting probably will work. I'm already propagating some maples from seed though so I don't have much space for others. I think the tree should back bud well but I don't have a plan for it yet.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Yeah leaves are awesome. This tree sent out runners like crazy. Root cutting probably will work. I'm already propagating some maples from seed though so I don't have much space for others. I think the tree should back bud well but I don't have a plan for it yet.

Well if planning is that tough, I could just send you my address... ;-)

Top Bottom