Watch Out for Irene

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Folks,
To all other east coast residents from North Carolina northward, just a reminder to batten down the hatches.
I am a first responder for the city I live in and we have been boarding up and sandbagging for two days. Our Emergency Management Office says we have not seen one like this before. We are to report back to work tomorrow at 7am, and plan not to return home before next Wednesday.

Now out to secure my trees & greenhouse as best I can. :eek:

Good luck to you all.....

Bob O

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope its not too bad and be safe.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Well, it looks to be easing up a bit. It's supposed to be a Category I storm tomorrow, and then a Tropical Storm up into DC and NY and Boston. But it still will be rough weather, so be careful/.

Reaction score
If you all are able, bring them inside, perhaps a garage or something... if not, I would huddle them all together on the ground, obviously not in an area that floods... remember the higher they are, the higher the winds !!! So I would take them off their stands, even if they are wired down. Also, move them as far as one can get from trees and falling branches !!! Does look like it is easing a little, but all one needs is one bad gust. For those of you who are not as famillar with these things, 2x4's have gone straight through concrete cinder blocks at a 100 mph winds !!! Besides this they tend to spawn alot of tornadoes. Worth taking abit serious... One more thing don't waste your time with trying to tape up windows, does do anything.
Good luck everyone... those who are used to getting nailed by these things are rooting for you !!!
We'll see you on the flip side !!!

Last edited:

daveskib

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in mid New Castle County, DE and they're still calling for a hurricane warning here.

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Well got everything secured as best as possible. Trees on ground all bunched up against the house, benches turned over, rachet straps attached to stakes in ground on front and rear of greenhouse to give it diagonal support. Would like to put them in the house but too many and they wouldn't get watered.

Daveskib, hold on tight, hope you get to stay home with your family & trees.

Thanks for the good thoughts and advice.:)

Now to pack up for the next several days at work.

Bob O

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish you all well. I'm in Boston and the reports are so conflicting. One station says the Boston area will get 1 to 3 inches of rain with gusts up to 75 mph. Another says 3 to 5 inches with gusts up to 50 mph. We now just sit and wait. Good luck to all the Emergency responders and thanks for all of your great work.

daveskib

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Irene

Thanks Bob O, i have a spot for my trees already here at my home. Hoping it changes course or weakens....

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
That's the thing with hurricanes. You get some warning, but no-one can really tell you where they're going or what sort of wind & rain those along the way will get. The weather-persons are just making educated guesses (and also possibly trying to be dramatic & scare you into keeping tuned in to their channel). My advice is to plan for the worst and be glad if you don't need the extra batteries & water. Sometimes you just get a little wind & rain. Sometimes you get blasted.

an unsolicited story - In 2004, we were without power for 7 days when Charlie blew through. then 6 days again when Jeanne hit. & we're in the middle of the state. The tree crews were impressive when they came through with their chainsaws - they went yard to yard and carved out a wide birth around all the powerlines. I remember sitting on my back porch the afternoon they rolled up to our neighborhood, sipping a cold beer from the cooler, and being quite impressed with their efficiency. All new neighborhoods here are built with underground power lines for good reason.

It wont be fun, but this isn't the kind of storm that's going to blow your homes down. Good luck guys.

Reaction score
Reports of tornado damage w/ injuries in columbia nc, as result of Irene

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wish you all well. I'm in Boston and the reports are so conflicting. One station says the Boston area will get 1 to 3 inches of rain with gusts up to 75 mph. Another says 3 to 5 inches with gusts up to 50 mph. We now just sit and wait. Good luck to all the Emergency responders and thanks for all of your great work.

I wasn't taking it seriously up here in Boston, but I think I am starting to pay attention now. It looks like it may still be a hurricane by the time it gets to us and now I am starting to get worried about flooding. I live on the first street from the Boston Harbor in East Boston.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Made it through in S.E. PA. Soooo many are w/o power, but so far it's still on here. Philadelphia and suburbs have some serious flooding, but not as bad as Floyd in '98. Wind still gusts btwn 30-50 mph, so there's still the danger of falling trees and limbs...be careful, be safe.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Made it through with no real problems. A lot of rain 5 inches or so, 55 mph winds. Lugged all the trees inside before the wind started.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Made it here as well - thank God that our power stayed on and no damage. Lots of people without power in the DC area, but it sounds like the power companies are doing a pretty good job getting people back online.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We got real lucky up here in beantown. Nothing much to speak of breezy drizzly day, trees will be out back outside now. Hope everyone else more south was safe

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like my trees are okay,we have had heavy winds all day even though Irene has long passed,my electric has also come back on,thank God.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just north of Boston and everything is fine. A little extra wind and a couple of inches of rain. Some branches down but nothing extrodinary. No power loss. Thank you God!!!

Reaction score
good to hear you all are ok... and have made it through !!!
Anyone unaccounted for in NC ???

Top Bottom