Water Can

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know there was a thread about water cans on here a while back but I cannot find it. If I remember correct it was for some expensive cans or expensive for me. I have been using a water bucket from wal mart that worked fine. The other day I tapped the nozzle to clean it and it split. I figured no big deal just pick up another at wal mart, which I did and it was not the same. The water comes out as a shower and then went back to a solid stream, knocking the soil out of my pots. I took it back and got a different one to find it did the same so I returned it. Today I found one that had the same style head as my old one and figured it was the one, gave it a try. The water stays in a shower and does not go to one hard stream, but it is coming out too hard. Any new potted trees, it splashes the soil out! I found some on Dallas Bonsai, wondering has anyone ever used one of this?

http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/WC78-bonsai-supply-Plastic-Watering-Can-3-Quart.html

Thanks,
Michael

Stimmie1

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes, as a matter of fact, I purchased one better than 10 years ago and still use it. But, I had the same problem with the rose and to heavy flow of water. The problem was solved with purchasing an oval brass rose from Lee Valley tools in Ogdensburg, NY. The rose part number is XB925 model no. 850. Works wonderfully. But when your can is about empty with little water, it will be a stream instead of a nice soft sprinkle.
Hope this helps you. Small hole my clog, brass wire brush is how I clean it.
Jim Stimmel Zone 7

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the quick reply Jim. I do not normally check this site until late night but this water thing is very aggravating and takes the fun out of watering. Are you saying you had the same problem,,,and got a can like the one in the link and then got the other Rose? Or just the rose and use with any can it will screw on?
Thanks,
Michael

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one of them (I think a bigger size). The rose is very fine and you get a nice soft stream out of it, but I've found that the neck piece comes off the can more and more (which results in a lot of expletives from me when it falls off and a gush of water comes out of the can onto my trees).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Japanese watering wand, hose...no problems.

Watering cans are a pain for the reason you've noted. They're also a lot of work for little return. Fill, empty, walk back to the faucet, fill, repeat until your arms are sore...

I've used both a can (an expensive copper Japanese job I got as a gift) and the wand. The wand works alot better. If you have to get a can, get one with a fine rose attachment and jam it on as tightly as possible before using the thing.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the masakuni wand for my every day watering. That thing is amazing, and after three years, is as good as new. I use the watering can when fertilizing.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use a watering wand I bought at Ace hardware. It has several settings including mist (for watering moss) and gentle stream. I use a watering can for fetilizer.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks to everyone for your Help. I have used a cheap wand and can get it down to what I need, but only in the middle of summer if I run out of my rain water. We are on a well and the water has a small amount of salt in it. So I try to use only rain water that I collect in 55 gal drums.

Thanks,
Michael

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When you first start doing bonsai you tend to revel in the details. You become a bonsai purist, Fine mist watering cans, home made fertilizer cakes, all the proper tools, worry and worry some more. As you progress you start to find your collection grows faster than you can keep up with it, using the Fine mist watering can and home made fertilizer cakes. You will eventually find the advantages of a garden hose and commercial fertilizer working just as well; as long as you take the time to learn how to use them properly.

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Our water just seems too filled with other materials besides water. I don't even like to water my in-ground stuff with the hose. I also water in the evenings, so I keep the water off the leaves.

I am like the author though, in that I purchased a watering can from Wal-Mart a couple of years ago and it was perfect. Went back to replace it and found few options at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, or Home Depot. The problem for me is the shohin and below. The bigger pots can take the stronger water stream, but for the shohin, it constantly knocks soil out and gets water all over the leaves.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use the masakuni wand for my every day watering. That thing is amazing, and after three years, is as good as new. I use the watering can when fertilizing.

Ditto... I got one at GSBF last year, and with the addition of a brass valve and a quick diconnect fitting, I love it! Wouldn't want to do without it.

:)

Victrinia

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Ditto... I got one at GSBF last year, and with the addition of a brass valve and a quick diconnect fitting, I love it! Wouldn't want to do without it.

:)

Victrinia

I've been using the Masakuni for many years. It is the best!!

Mike

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Eventually as your collection grows and you get overwhelmed by STUFF you are going to come to the conclusion that simpler is better. You can get nozzles for a garden hose that are every bit as good as those on the fancy watering cans. Who knows, you may come to a point where you realize that even if your garden hose nozzle is not ideal it is at least adequate. If you are not washing your trees out of their pots they wont know the difference.

If, as has been mentioned, your municipal water supply is not good I have to ask what alternative do you have? You can make a rain collection system and still use a garden hose and if you have to go down that road it is probably better that you make an elevated cistern and attack the problem that way. Then; what do you do if it does not rain? Major problem there.

Bonsai is full of all kinds of little fuzzy things you can do but most of them are not necessary. If you have less than twenty trees then you can be as anal as you like--- or can afford. I'm not trying to be an iconoclast here, but I have been growing bonsai long enough, and done all of the fuzzy little things, to know that there are less sexy ways to get things done that will wield the same results with half the effort.

To some bonsai is like sex, getting there is half the fun. If you look at it this way then go for it! Buy two-hundred dollar watering cans that weigh over forty pounds when filled, and require re-filling more than once, making your bonsai experience a drudge, especially if you have a hot summer and have to water two or more times a day. There is one thing that can be said about bonsai and those that grow them: As a bonsai gets older it improves, as a bonsai grower grows older he deteriorates; forty pound watering cans become eighty pound mil stones to be dragged about the yard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've been using the Masakuni for many years. It is the best!!

Mike

I did some googling around trying to find them on-line... I found two places... Dallas bonsai (though I am not sure they really have it because I couldn't get to it through the regular selection patterns on the site... it was just through the google search results that I found it)... and one other random horticulture retailer on the web... so I find that surprising given it's price point (less than $40) and it's quality (worth way more than $40 :p) that it wasn't available like EVERYWHERE.

I guess it's just another fine reason for going to really good conventions like GSBF... speaking of the devil, are you going to be at Santa Clara this year?? I am. :D

V

IIIROYIII

Sapling
Reaction score
My masakuni works great as well. I got mine at bonsaimonk. its only 43.55 there and I didn't have to worry about shipping.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks to everyone for all the help!
It sounds like the masakuni is very well liked, but being a wand it will not help me. When the summer gets dry and I do use the well water I can use the cheap wand from wal mart with many settings that work fine.
Vance, I appreciate your insight and experience of many years of successful bonsai and fully understand what you are saying and agree. As for wanting to do all the "fuzzy" things, I am sure that I have fallen for some. But for the most part I keep it as simple and in-expensive as possible. Water collection is 2 (free 55 gal) drums catching water as it comes off the roof. I know, not the best or safest setup for the trees, but it is what I have. A two hundred dollar water can....I was Happy with my $4 can, but with a split down the middle it floods the pots now. It was what my wife had when I stared doing the trees a couple of years ago and just happened to have small holes in the nozzle. I never thought it would be this hard to get a replacement. So far as a "drudge", that is what has happened now with the cans that I have tried so far. No matter how I pour, it comes out too fast. The old 2 gal can would do many trees, the new one comes out so fast it does not come close to half as many trees per 2 gal of water.
I found a Haws site today that had some good options and a number to call, I plan on contacting them tomorrow and see what they suggest. I don't mind spending a little money on a nice can, if I know it will be what I am looking for when it gets here.
Again I thank everyone for your help and will post what I do find.

Have A Great Evening!
Michael

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you find a Haws rose that is suitable but unavailable then drop me a line before this saturday and i could pick one up for you.

Top Bottom