Water Can

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth, my expensive Japanese copper floods pots just as well as the cheap cans do. Both use same "technology" to hold the roses on the spouts--gravity is a B(&%@ :D

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had(lawn mower incident) a hose end nozzle that had 6 or so settings, it was one of the best watering tools I had, I think I only paid about 6 bucks for it too. From a mist to a gentle spray, lately the watering chores have been a pain because I'm past the couple of fills for a couple of 2 liter botttles, I need my nozzle back, maybe home dumpo tonight. This one is $6.97.

Attachments

• nozzle.jpg
    nozzle.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 162

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I guess it's just another fine reason for going to really good conventions like GSBF... speaking of the devil, are you going to be at Santa Clara this year?? I am. :D

V[/QUOTE]

I plan to be there. My mother would respond with an old country saying when asked that sort of question: "The Good Lord willin' and the crick don't rise".
Hope to see you.

Mike

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the offer Klytus, that is very thoughtful of you. I called the Haws site today and spoke with Charles (the owner). Explained my issue and price range to him, he was very helpful and nice. We picked a plastic pot with nozzle that he said should work well, but have the part number for a "fine" nozzle that will fit the can if needed. I may order both at the same time for shipping cost.
http://www.hawswateringcans.com/outdoorplastic.asp
Model 26:H:660
http://www.hawswateringcans.com/professional.asp
Model 26:J:321-3

Thanks to all for the Help!
Michael

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I did some googling around trying to find them on-line... I found two places... Dallas bonsai (though I am not sure they really have it because I couldn't get to it through the regular selection patterns on the site... it was just through the google search results that I found it)... and one other random horticulture retailer on the web... so I find that surprising given it's price point (less than $40) and it's quality (worth way more than $40 :p) that it wasn't available like EVERYWHERE.

I guess it's just another fine reason for going to really good conventions like GSBF... speaking of the devil, are you going to be at Santa Clara this year?? I am. :D

V

Ms.Vic
I was surfing around looking for the Masakuni watering wand. Didn't find one available at this time. Went to amazon.com and found a substitute. I ordered it and it arrived today. It looks similiar to the Masakuni and has the same sort of fine rose that emits a fine spray just like the Masakuni.
The vendor lists it as "BONSAI WATERING WAND VERY SOFT AND GENTLE FLOW".
The vendor is:
Maiban Imports
550 S. Van Ness Ave. #303
San Francisco, CA 94110-1388

I don't have a pnone #, but if I find one I'll post it.

I used it, and it is just like the Masakuni. The price is $18.95 plus shipping. I think it's a good deal.

Mike

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow! That's a great deal!

Thanks for the information. :) I was thinking of buying a second one. :)

Hope to see you this fall...

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Wow! That's a great deal!

Thanks for the information. :) I was thinking of buying a second one. :)

Hope to see you this fall...

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Found the phone # for Maiban 415-255-6332

Last edited:

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Rock,

That expensive Japanese watering can that you have, with the nozzle that pops off every other time you use it.....go down to your basement, get the propane torch that you used to redo the copper supply pipes in your house and some flux and solder and solder the thing onto the end of the can. If you don't have those supplies then ask a friend to borrow them....should only take you 2 minutes to fix it permanently.

Eric

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But Eric,

The can came with TWO nozzles--both copper. One is a fine rose, the other is a spout. I'd be cancelling out half of the can's capabilities if I soldered one on :D.

Also, can't imagine the spouse taking kindly to me doing a really really bad soldering job on her (at the time) $150 gift. She would probably taken the flux to MY can :D:eek:...

The can became ornamental some time ago. Haven't used it in years. Bottom line, it's just too much work to use--watering 25 large trees with it would take a very long time--every day...Watering wand takes 10 minutes...

Stimmie1

Sapling
Reaction score
I purchased the can first and found the oval rose later. Works great. A little adjustment with the can and the new rose, you will be in heaven.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New can came in today. I tried it with the rose that came with it first on an new shohin I got this weekend. As I started pouring the water came out in a strong stream at first, knocking soil out of the small pot. So I stopped and tested pouring in the open air (I know should have done that to begin with) and found that it starts out in a single hard stream until the can is turned straight up. The can is designed where the water does not spill over even at this angle. The water will come out in a nice soft shower, and if you quickly bring the can back to horizontal position it does not do the single stream too bad. So it is usable if you start pouring before you get it over the pot. Next I tried to extra rose I had purchased with it. The fine spray rose is just that, a very fine, almost mist flow. It also starts with a single stream of water until the can is all the way up right too, but a much smaller single stream than the other rose. The shower is so fine it would take a long time to water a tree of any size. I don't know if this is just the way of gravity and all that can be expected or not. I will keep the can as it is much better than what I have found before. But to be completely honest, I would have been just a pleased with another one of the $4.00 wal-mart like I had.
Thanks for everyones help,
Michael

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you aren't stuck on having a wand, this weekend I was at H.D for a hose repair kit(ran it over with the mower - the hose and nozzle had lost), got the kit and a 3 piece set of nozzles, a sweeper for a jet stream, a nozzle similar to the one I showed previously, and a hose end fine spray nozzle with an end similar to the wands. The holes are fairly small for a nice gentle watering, the nozzles are all copper plated, and was only $10.00

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's true that any old blow moulded wide mouthed can is good for filling from a water butt,although as you noted the actual watering is all in the wrist.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bill, the wand is not a good option (I have one that work well) because when I use the hose it is our well water with salt. I do not use it unless the rain barrels run dry.

Kyltus, I agree, the wrist plays a big part in this and I will get much practice in the next few months.
Thanks,
Michael

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Didn't realize about your salt issue Michael, I'm spoiled here our water is very good. I guess if you get your water out of a storage drum you are stuck with the can, unless you set a pump.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haws cans

For the people using Haws watering cans, do you find the regular rose that comes with it ok for bonsai purposes, or did you end up getting the fine rose attachment?

I'm looking to replace my plastic can that I got from Dallas Bonsai, which is leaking water, and having trouble keeping the spout attached to the can. Thanks.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I use the regular rose that comes with the can. Be careful when using it because the brass rose is not soft like the plastic rose you are using now. The brass rose has a hard edge on it and can knock the bark off your tree if you accidently bump the tree when watering. The rose that comes with the can is fine enough for even small bonsai.

DaveV.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks very much Dave. That's very helpful info.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just make sure no dross and snails are in your can,i had to yank the rose off with the intention of shaking the stuff out but miscalculated the wrist angle of the can and the resulting whoosh of water nearly blasted my seedlings out their pots.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the warning Klytus.
As of today the holes are getting a bit plugged (rain water from barrels) but it makes the water just a bit softer flow which I like.
Since I am here I will add this, a couple of weeks ago I was doing some yard work for someone and saw a water can just like my old wal-mart can. I thought maybe I have just been thinking "how good, easy flow" my old can had. So I had to try it, sure enough, it came out nice and slow, even shower, no strong stream. Never know why wal-mart stops carrying products that you really like, but it's not the first.
Have A Great Day!
Michael

Top Bottom