Water Commision Elm

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the one collected later than primish. 20150527_184711.jpg

But this ain't no sob story!

Reason being, where I collected it.
My Walleye buddy works for the water commision. Some of the tanks have culverts, where this was growing, under a grate, in a mini ecosystem.

It was growing in a 3 inch layer of moss, leaves, and debris. Under which was a slab of concrete. So ALL the roots were collected, balled up and thrown in the Pond Basket.
20150527_184910.jpg

This was 5/27/15.
20150527_184835.jpg

20150527_184845.jpg

There is great taper and a curve under the soil line. Gotta ground layer it there.
And will Probly layer the top off this season,round the bottom of that last pic, for a natural broom using the small branches new branches.

Today.
20150606_075837.jpg

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great man, i really need to make better soil in the future. Your soil looks so drainy, i think my tree's would like it also.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great man, i really need to make better soil in the future. Your soil looks so drainy, i think my tree's would like it also.

Drain is good but you need it to hold water. I don't know what ratio he uses but floor dry is the main ingredient. Same as me. Mine is pure floor dry wilt a little turkey grit tossed in to make me feel better. I only need to water once per day.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

This one is actually a lot of old rocks, oil dry, pine bark fines, perlite, and I been throwin in some Biotone.

My favorite is sifted straight oil dry.
Napa 8822 not others.

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I mostly use(d) baked clay for catlitter (TomPoes Foetsie-ba), but because i just started i thought plants allways needed 'real' dirt/sand so i also mixed compost and other non-drainy (native) soil. Also i thought the roots needed sharp objects so they rammify faster so most of them also have sharp aquarium stones. What for is the pinebark?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey there Ulmus Lusters.

I remembered I had this pic with the text, "we tore this out at work, do you want it?"
I answered it, couldn't use the maple and it was full of scale. But it led to this elm. Glad I went!
imagejpeg_0.jpg

More to come.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is doing what I wanted it to.

This is what I call Power Leaves. The ones that put on girth, Full Size Leaves. You'll see the shoot it's on.20150716_171512.jpg

Here's the air layer I'm hoping to take and make a nice natural elm with. The big power leaf shoot is a continuation of the big one there. Behind the smallest one.20150716_171652.jpg
Soon stub will be cut, and possibly the left low branch. Again to layer at the bottom of the pic line. ISH.

Here is the low part. A nice ring around the whole tree. Thinking about
Carving it in for a broom or clump. The distance to the curve in the trunk below the soil line will determine. Shoulda took more Pics of it out.
20150716_171437.jpg

So yeah. 2016 layer one, top. Broom
2017 layer 2, middle. Clump.
2018, expose the curve and start it. Wild.

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If I were to try to take elm cuttings, would it be better to use 'power leaf' stems or older smaller leaf stems? Theres a few corkbark (or so I think) elm stumps at the foodbank I volunteer at that I want to try to take cuttings from.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I were to try to take elm cuttings, would it be better to use 'power leaf' stems or older smaller leaf stems? Theres a few corkbark (or so I think) elm stumps at the foodbank I volunteer at that I want to try to take cuttings from.

I'd say the smaller leaves will not transpire as much.
But the big leaves will help grow roots fast.

Try both!

I have only worked with smaller ones with ok success.

If course if possible, I'd layer it.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know what I mean!

Sure do! Got some going myself.
Looks like I need to go and take some more pictures of myself on Elm Street later.
I got more.
Lots more.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If course if possible, I'd layer it.

Sorce
I cant imagine what the main office lady would say to me as I struggle to wrap tinfoil, plastic, and moss around a tree and explain what Im doing at the same time!

I wonder how that would come up in conversation...

Like, hey, can I cut bark off this tree and wrap dirt, foil, and plastic around it so later on I can cut it off for this hobby you have never heard of?

Anyway, I think a good comprimise would be to use the power cuttings but cut the leaves in half.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cant imagine what the main office lady would say to me as I struggle to wrap tinfoil, plastic, and moss around a tree and explain what Im doing at the same time!

I wonder how that would come up in conversation...

Like, hey, can I cut bark off this tree and wrap dirt, foil, and plastic around it so later on I can cut it off for this hobby you have never heard of?

Anyway, I think a good comprimise would be to use the power cuttings but cut the leaves in half.

Inconspicuous Airlayering is a technique I'm working on.

Bark color matching scarves.
Some places a bag will go unnoticed.
You can skip the tinfoil.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the guy who came up with that was working for Reynolds at the time. Lol.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So that big branch branched.
Makes me wonder if you can get a branch off that branch in one season.

Is it possible to get unchecked growth to grow a tertiary branch in one season?

20150803_231852.jpg
20150803_232015.jpg

Sorce

Top Bottom