Water Elm Group

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I havent contibuted anything to Bnut iv just been lurking around for some time but figured it was time to actually take the time and contribute a little.

I purchased this group a few weeks ago off Zach Smith (Who did a perfect job packaging and was a pleasure to speak with) Also did a perfect job getting this group in the right direction.

The largest tree is about 24" tall and a 3" trunk. I dont plan on doing anything drastic at all this year but let it grow! Next year it will definatly get a repot itll need it. Iv cleaned up the base on the far left tree just clearing out the flakey rotted wood. Whenever I get a day with no rain ill throw some wood hardener on it as I like where its at now. I plan on wiring it within the next couple weeks and just letting the trees take me where they want to go.

The second pic is at a slight degree change as I more than likely will be moving towards that as the front when repotted. With a inch or so moving each tree either direction. Any comments are welcome and thanks for looking!

-Craig

Attachments

• Water Elm 1 Mar14.jpg
    Water Elm 1 Mar14.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Water Elm 2 Mar14.jpg
    Water Elm 2 Mar14.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 133

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. I also bought a tree from Zach. A smaller may hawthorn that's still in hibernation. It also came packaged real well.
I saw your group on his website. I didn't realize it was so large.

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yea as soon as I seen this group I had to have it. It for sure weighs a good bit, the pot was shipped seperatly. It will be fun to see where it takes me.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. Please post pic when it leafs out.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like the second approach pictured the best, that is a real nice score, you will enjoy that for a long time ;)

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would get some wire on those puppys while they're still bendy. I like this, esp the trunk with the pass thru. Very interesting. I have always liked WE.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Craig, you are an Evilman ! I looked at that group a bunch and was thinking someday ...

ed

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would get some wire on those puppys while they're still bendy. I like this, esp the trunk with the pass thru. Very interesting. I have always liked WE.

Judy,

Thats one of the only things ill be doing to it this year, I just put a new order from jim gremel as I will be using a lot I forsee.

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thoughts or ideas?

Iv attached 2 verts deciding on if something along these lines would work. The far left tree has a knob that will never heal over at the middle of the trunk and it would also alleviate the largest tree from sticking out being so straight. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

• Water%20Elm%201%20Mar14.jpg
    Water%20Elm%201%20Mar14.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Water%20Elm%201%20Mar1401.jpg
    Water%20Elm%201%20Mar1401.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 40

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I like the first virt for the first and third tree. I don't think the chop on the middle one is that bad and I'm not sure you need a shari on all three. You could always add it later but I would at least start with the bigger ones, shari would look more natural on them.

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like the first virt for the first and third tree. I don't think the chop on the middle one is that bad and I'm not sure you need a shari on all three. You could always add it later but I would at least start with the bigger ones, shari would look more natural on them.

I was thinking the same thing and your right it can always be done later, thanks.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just wondering if these trees have any problems with rot, you wouldn't want to go down that road if they do... But I don't know so I'm just askin...

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just wondering if these trees have any problems with rot, you wouldn't want to go down that road if they do... But I don't know so I'm just askin...

I actually asked Zach Smith that question about water elms being the guru and said the pretty much just like most elms in that regard and just suggested to take the shari up slowly and not deep.

Last edited:

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That group unfortunately was a victim of Winter 2014. I'll be collecting new water-elm material this year, should have some nice specimens.

Top Bottom