Water-elm Raft

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This unique, natural raft-style water-elm got its first "pot" yesterday during my demo at the Louisiana Bonsai Society's spring show. I'd planned on using a slab for planting this specimen when it was first collected, but as I studied it I decided it might be easier to maintain if I altered the slab somewhat. One thing led to another, and I think the result is pretty special. It was a big hit at the show.

There's a lot of refinement ahead, but in a few years this tree should be awesome.

Comments welcome, of course.

Zach
Water-elm4-15-12.JPG

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you beat me! I am planning on making slab planting with a "road" on it lined by little rock retaining walls.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Judy. There's much to be done to both the tree and the pot. I plan to force muck into the crevices in the wall and hopefully get moss to grow. I'll also rough up the wall with my cordless Dremel and a sanding wheel, in an attempt to "age" it. It's time for another lime sulfur treatment of the "channel" that runs the length of the (two) recumbent trunks. I'll take another shot of the piece from the end and post it. There's a lot to appreciate in this piece.

Zach

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Glad you posted this second shot, from the first one, it's difficult to see the raft... And now I have a better appreciation of the details.
Just shows you what you can't see from a photo...

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This unique, natural raft-style water-elm got its first "pot" yesterday during my demo at the Louisiana Bonsai Society's spring show. I'd planned on using a slab for planting this specimen when it was first collected, but as I studied it I decided it might be easier to maintain if I altered the slab somewhat. One thing led to another, and I think the result is pretty special. It was a big hit at the show.
There's a lot of refinement ahead, but in a few years this tree should be awesome.
Comments welcome, of courseZach
View attachment 22581
Oh very cool that miniature wall around it, i want to make something simular but i dont have an oven or clay for outside (which doesn't need an oven perhaps).

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unfortunately, this tree was a victim of Winter 2014. We had a snow/ice storm followed by multiple days of 15F low temperatures. I was unable to put my trees on the ground as this occurred right when we were burying my mother. I lost all of my water-elms including this one. A very tough period of time. But we rebuild, you know.

Zach

Top Bottom