Water-elm with New Backdrop

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Testing a new photo backdrop I made. The tree's been in training a few years now, shaping up pretty well. It'll need an oval pot next year.

Zach

Attachments

• Water-elm7-4-12.jpg
    Water-elm7-4-12.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 120

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's nice Zach, what is it made of? I need to do something different as well.
Tree is looking nice, good leaf reduction. I can really see it in an oval...

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looks nice :) (the backdrop and the tree)

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a 6x12 bolt of canvas from Hobby Lobby and a bottle each of gray and white acrylic paint. Those were squirted onto the canvas and then brushed together to partially but not completely mix. Semi-circular to circular strokes. I had to double over the canvas, but it worked fine. I mounted it to a 2x2 treated pole using a cordless staple gun. I still need to do a couple of things, one is add some eye hooks and picture wire so I can hang it up properly, and I think I also need to add another 2x2 near the base where it folds to go under the pot. All in all, though, it worked pretty well.

Zach

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You just saved about 400.00 dollars from the Photo Shop for a good backdrop.

Now all you need is a good SLR camera, some really fine glass, some slave lights at the correct color temperature and some good photo editing software. With the $400.00 you just saved about another $4000.00 should do it:p

Seriously, nice job!

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I know I need a better camera and some other do-dads. My daughter's got a really nice SLR, so I may go with the same make and model. That's for next year, methinks.

Thanks for the compliment!

Zach

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey Zach, never been to your site before but it looks like you have some great stuff. I'm not familiar with most of the species but keep up the good work.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a great looking backdrop, it is light colored enough to really allow the tree to stand out and has just enough variation in it to add interest to the subject. I like the tree too, I visted your site a few months ago looking at the water elms you had and did not notice this tree. I do not think I have seen a water elm in nature or more likely did not know what I was looking at.

ed

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ed, you have to go to the swamps to see water-elms, but they only range to about NC up the east coast and about Tennessee north of me.

This tree's been on my site for a couple of years now, in three different pots so far but not the right one yet. The ramification is coming along well. One thing about water-elm is the leaves reduce so readily that it takes time to develop a thick foliage mass. But I'm just about there with this little guy.

Zach

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have fished the swamps of Georgia and Florida and have fished the Tennesee river, but never a swamp in Tenn. or NC either. It does look well leafed for its silhouette in the picture. Chances are I may have seen it on your site in a different pot and not realized it as I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

ed

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it looks terrific. I like the cloudy interest created...yet it is light enough to present the tree in elegance. Thumbs up!

Top Bottom